Chef Uniform Help

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by ilovesushi5, Jan 15, 2013.

1. ilovesushi5

ilovesushi5

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi All,

I am looking at getting new chef uniforms for my staff.  I wanted to see if anyone wears either of these and your thoughts feedback:

http://www.chefworks.com/?page=shop...nt&PHPSESSID=8ee1f83538d6f3b1070faaf7cabf62f7

or 

http://www.chefworks.com/?page=shop...gy&PHPSESSID=8ee1f83538d6f3b1070faaf7cabf62f7

We are looking to have a comfortable baggy pant that is durable.  We work in a Japanese Restaurant where both hot and cold food is prepared.  Colors fly everywhere and these pants must be tough.  If you have other suggestions instead of these please let me know.  We always order from chefworks.com so I don't really know the competition.  Would love all suggestions.

Thanks for your help.  

Jay

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Any good restaurant industry store will give you better prices than those. Unless of course, you're a shill for ChefWorks.com.

3. ilovesushi5

ilovesushi5

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks IceMan.  Do you mind giving me some examples?  I thought ChefWorks was an industry store.  Where do you suggest I go?  That was the purpose of the question.  Thanks for all your help

4. geronomo

geronomo Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
  5. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I've always liked www.kng.com but their stuff is 100% poly.

6. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  7. ilovesushi5

ilovesushi5

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks.  kng is good.  I am looking for a specific pant though.  Have you used the ones I listed from chefworks.com  or any specific baggy chef pant from kng.com?

Thanks again!

8. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
  9. borkbork

borkbork

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just a slightly off topic rant about uniforms. Change at work, do not go to the bar or worse the grocery in your chef coat. Also chef costs are white. Yes it is hard to keep clean, you are wearing the evidence of your discipline and organization. If you need to look super clean reverse your jacket and roll down your cuffs. This is a design that has been perfected over generations. The only reason to try to "improve" it is if you have an endorsement deal. Black chef coats and mushroom printed baggies are for idiots and posers. Sorry just had to let that fly.

10. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I wear a black chef coat on occasion.

I have also worn mushroom or otherwise printed baggies.

I can walk the walk, and have proven to have above average intelligence.

Now I see that I have been mistaken.

Thanks for the insight.

11. squirrelrj

squirrelrj Banned

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I have no problems with black chef coats, but goofy printed pants are completely unprofessional, IMO.

12. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have to be just as diligent about keeping my black coat clean as I do my whites. Flour, powdered sugar, cream cheese, sour cream.. I work with many more light colored ingredients than I do dark so the "evidence of discipline" is also for the world to see when wearing the black. Is a pristine coat really a badge of honor? I prefer to let talent showcase the distinction between the chefs rather than pant or coat color, I'm a woman and even I don't give a damn about the outfits.

13. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I guess we differ there.

I only wear black pants now, baggies, cargo, etc.

But I have no problem with someone wearing colorful pants.

If it makes them happy, more power to them.

I don't see where it impacts professionalism.

Professionalism is a mindset, not a fashion statement.

14. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Perfectly stated.

Though I'm more the conservative, black dress pants/black or burgandy coat type guy, working with

someone wearing prints doesnt bother me. So long as the silly clothes dont make for silly

work, I see no harm done.

However....

when it comes to fine dining, with formal guest attire, my personal opinion is that if the wearer is

going to be popping in and out of the FOH themselves, then lil gluttony piggies all over their pants

just isn't so appropriate, anymore than it would be in say, a corporate board meeting. 

15. squirrelrj

squirrelrj Banned

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Show up to a 4 start restauraunt wearing portabello mushroom pants, or pants with cool habanero chilies on them... see how it goes.

Then, show up the next day when a different chef might be in the kitchen, wearing clean black chef pants, see how that goes.

Your apperance plays a massive role in how you conduct yourself, ever see any of the best chefs in the country/world wearing goofy pants like that? never, there's a reason for that.

16. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Professionalism is also shown through attention to detail, such as being sure to use correct spelling, grammar, puntuation, and capitalization.

One owner that I worked for was a nice guy. I liked him on a personal level, but on a professional level he was horrendous and terribly lacking in skills needed to be an owner of a succesful restaurant. My initial exchanges with him were email correspondences and all the mistakes in spelling and such should have been a terrific insight into his eye for detail and follow through; but I didn't give the warning signs enough weight.

I wound up working for him for 2 years, until his lack of professionalism got the best of me. In my second year there, we were written up in an article that appeared in Food & Wine. The owner, when interviewed, didn't even know the correct spelling of my name, so the way it appeared when it wound up in print in a national publication was barely recognizable to even me, much less any one else.

17. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That isn't professionalism.

That's dressing according to the accepted standard of the venue.

If the standard is black pants then yes, you're correct.

If the standard is "wear what's comfortable, no one can see you", then that too is professional.

A blanket statement doesn't work in this area I'm afraid.

18. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gotcha!

Just playing my friend, but you left yourself open for some playful ribbing.

19. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  20. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Good call there, ChefLayne.  I've gotten a bunch of email from them lately. They look pretty good.