Chef Treatment

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by riverrun, Feb 24, 2005.

1. riverrun

riverrun

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was wondering what everybodies veiw is on the way chefs get treated by the public. I've worked down south (FL) and up north (NY) and i find that your treated better down south.
    The pay down south was better and the treatment you recieved from the public was better. For instense I never waited for a table at one of the most busiest places i've seen down there and i never worked there. They just knew that i was a cook down there and always took care of me and my guests. Up here i find You get treated like your a dime a dozen at most places.
    Well just wondering how you guys and gals feel at where your at? :cool:

2. sheaam

sheaam

I have never cooked in NY, but I have in Florida. Down there a good chef is a little rarer thatn in new york. Aren't they a dime a dozen up there?

3. chef john

chef john

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    :bounce:
    I have found that in smaller markets, a good chef is treated better by the public. I worked in Chicago and Los Angeles and got lost in the crowd, so to speak, but was generally treated well by the public in Iowa. Just depends on supply and demand, I guess, if there is no supply, you are in demand.

4. blue_wolf

blue_wolf

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My history up in the northern midwest shows only small town cooking. For the most part, a lot of people just think of it as a way-ward job, something you do until you find a "real job". You just got to laugh at that one. If only they knew. :D Working at the country club helps a little, some of the members see how seriously I take my job. But, that's only a small number. This is part of the reason we're moving to Madison. We'll see if the small town mid west attitude carries over to the big city, compared to small town america.