Chef Q&A - Culinary School Independent Study

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by sierra11b, Feb 4, 2006.

1. sierra11b

sierra11b

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have recently started culinary school in Roseville, California and enjoy it very much thus far. The instructors are great and have very solid resumes as well. I'm excited.

As part of our homework we have to fulfill 12 hours of independent study in each section. In this section of the course we're trying to find out what fields interest the most and why. We are then supposed to research said fields and eventually set-up interviews with chefs in those fields. The idea is to eventually narrow it down to one particular specialty.

Local, real world interviews are mandatory and I already plan to get those done as soon as possible. But I figured this would be a good source for feedback as well. I'm really hoping to get something out of this research seeing how I'm an aspiring Chef in the midst of a major career change (currently a mortgage broker).

The four fields I have chosen are: The "Chic" Chef, The Restaurant Chef, The Personal Chef, and The Pastry Chef.

If you are –or- have been in one of those four fields I'd greatly appreciate your feedback within the thread or via PM.

The Questions:

1) How did your career as a (insert specific field) Chef unfold?
    2) Why did you choose your particular specialty?
    3) Do you enjoy your job? Why or why not?
    4) What have you done right that has made your career/restaurant (etc) such a success?
    5) Tell me about where you work?
    6) Who were the biggest inspirations for your career?
    7) What are some of the skills that have helped you succeed?
    8) What advice do you have for a graduating culinary art student?
    9) What do you look for in a potential employee?
    10) What do you enjoy most about being a chef?

Thank you so much for your time. I'll be checking the forum frequently.

-Eric :)

2. sierra11b

sierra11b

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Anyone? :blush:

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    1st lesson on predicting business. On Friday/Saturday traffic slows on this board. Why?

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Maybe you'll get answers if we move it to the Professional Chefs' Discussion board, since those are the folks you want to hear from. And while you're at it, do check the Culinary Students board; lots of helpful info there for you.

To be honest, though, your list of questions is pretty daunting. I mean, we want to help, but . . . :look: And besides, what do you mean by "Chic" chef????

5. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  6. sierra11b

sierra11b

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    By daunting do you mean they aren't good questions, or that it's too much for someone browsing the forum to tackle all at once? Then maybe you can help me refine my questions for my real world interview with an actual local chef? :confused: :)

7. sierra11b

sierra11b

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No I did not. Thank you.

8. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You know the assignment is to ask questions and get answers, not simply search the internet and get answers. Could be the same result but sometimes the personal interraction makes it sink in.

So how about it, someone answer the questions and perhaps we can publish it on cheftalk as interview with a chef.

9. sierra11b

sierra11b

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I never intended to get answers from the internet as I already had an appointment to interview a well known local chef here in Sacramento (earlier today at 2:00pm). I merely posted here to get opinions from different avenues. Given that I work full time while attending school and because the assignment was given on such short notice, I did not have any time to interview a chef from each field.

I am a very disciplined individual that takes things seriously, especially because this is a very big step for me in an unfamiliar craft. My intentions were to go beyond the requirements of the project for added personal benefit.

However, I did not read the rules and apologize. I can see how some of you would assume I’m trying to cut corners.

-Eric :)