Chef or no Chef?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by culinarymd, May 16, 2006.

1. culinarymd

culinarymd

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Chef by definition is the "Chief" of the kitchen. So, since I was the "Chief" of the kitchen in the Army, does this make me a chef? I signed for everything, did the menus, handled personnel, ordered all the food, coordinated all training, coordinated all maintenance and coordinated all sanitation. I would greatly value your opinions on this matter.

2. fairfieldchef

fairfieldchef

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Depends if you were an officer or a sergeant? Because all of us know that it's the sergeants that really run the show! LOL :lol:

Seriously, sounds like to me you had all the responsibilities and duties of a Chef. There are some really good threads on Chef Talk that discuss the issues of a Chef vs. Cook. Do a search and you should find more than you ever wanted to know. I know I did!

3. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    culinarymd, how long were you in? I was in for almost 7 years. Did about 5 years on Fort Bragg and various other places. Seen Germany,Honduras, California twice, Virginia more times than I can count and I am sure there are more.....

Regards Cakerookie....

PS: Don't know much about the kitchen side of the military but did my share of KP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

4. culinarymd

culinarymd

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    All, I was in for almost 20 years. I did 6 active as an MP and Deep Sea Diver.
    Then I got out in 1985. When I went back into the reserves all they had available was cook. So, I said, "why not?" They retired me in 2003 with 15 years because of some allergy problem. I almost died 3 times when they called me up to go to Iraq. I wanted to go with my buddies but they wouldn't let me. I was retired as a SFC Sergeant First Class. So, I did run the entire show. I did two tours in Korea on active duty. One as an MP. One as a Deep Sea Diver. So, if anyone wants some fresh seafood I can go and get it for you. Tee hee. I've also been stationed at Ft. Leavenworth, KS; Ft. Eustis, VA and a few other places...I've only pulled KP once, in basic. But, I did help my KPs a lot so we all could go home at the end of the day. Thanks for the opinions guys.