Chef Knives

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by coconut, May 8, 2012.

1. coconut

coconut

Exp:
    Cook At Home
     Hello Culinary World,

I'm planning on travelling across borders to visit California's Tassajara Mountains. My consciousness will not let go of the idea of carrying a chef's knife onboard an airline. Is it best to leave ol' sharpy at home? :eek:P My intitial fear is the airline will percieve the chef knife as a weapon. Thanks!

2. coconut

coconut

Exp:
    Cook At Home
     BTW I'll be applying for a vegetarian apprenticeship program located on Tassjara.

3. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    UPS/FedEx it,or simply include in your checked luggage (if you don't mind the risk of it evaporating /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif) between baggage check-in and baggage pick up).

4. coconut

coconut

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks Chef :)

5. twyst

twyst

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I would advise against packing knives in your luggage.   I know more than a couple of people who have had there knives stolen from luggage.   Fedex/UPS is definitely the way to go.

6. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've actually run into problems in New York even just carrying my knives with me to and from work.  I often don't leave work until after 11pm, which is when the "DWI patrols" are out and they'll stop anyone for no reason at all.  I've been stopped 6 times so far for a "taillight out" that wasn't out, 4 times for "failure to switch off my highbeams" which I never use and twice for failure to switch lanes for an emergency vehicle that's parked on the side of the road"....when it was a single lane road.  They've always asked me if I had any weapons with me....I always asked them what they consider a weapon.  They tell me a knife with more than a 3" blade is a weapon.  So yes, officers, I have about 30 of them.  They're all right here, on my front seat, in this case/backpack/roll, ready t use and they'd cut you up real nice.   Yes, I'll step out of the car.  No, I don't have any needles or illegal substances on me.  Yes, I'll blow into that tube for you.  0.0%? Ok, solid.  No, I don't intend to plant one of those knives in someone's skull.  May I go?  Oh, because I've got a 12" french knife, you've got to call your supervisor and ask what to do.  I understand fully.  I'll just sit here and wait for you for an hour before your supervisor laughs at you and tells you to let me go.  Argh.

7. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Ugh. Once I had to stop by the unemployment office for something, before going to an interview and shadowing. I'd brought my kit and uniform with me, but the U/E is a gov office, and they wouldn't let me in with my knives. The guard suggested I leave them outside. Shya right!

8. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I was a corperate chef before 9/11 and carried my knife roll on board as well as carry on. Now it would be baggage check and hope nothing is missing/stolen! Freedom sucks...............