Chef Knives To Go Nigtmare

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by agfromdc, Feb 26, 2013.

1. agfromdc

agfromdc

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Long story short, I paid for a knife from Chef Knives to Go over a week ago and still have not received my knife. I have not gotten any emails or calls returned for the past few days. I am starting to feel ripped off. My first transaction with them went beautifully but this one has been an utter nightmare. I don't feel like I should have to chase down Mark Richmond or whomever and send repeated messages that something is wrong with their service. Has anyone else been ripped off from Chef Knives to Go?

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Slow down a bit. You paid a week ago and no returns for a couple of days. I realize everything these days is supposed to happen in seconds but give them a chance. your purchase may have gotten misplaced by the Post Office or Fed Ex or whomever. The calls and emails have not gotten returned because the recipients spam filter misdirected it. Or their message machine broke. Or any number of reasons. Remember that they are trying to run a reputable business. Don't take it personally. Keep after it but be nice. The situation will get resolved. It's a bit early to say you got ripped off. 

spikedog likes this.
  3. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
  4. agfromdc

agfromdc

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thanks, but I'm good right where I'm at. I've dealt with these people before and, like I've said, I had no problems whatsoever. Every question I had was answered promptly, the even sent additional info upon my request. I sent an email, I got a response in a matter of hours. Things are very different this time. Until I either get what I paid for or at least get some sort of response, I'm going to feel as if I got ripped off. I've sent a package of pictures to San Fransisco, gotten a similar package back from there , received and sent packages from NYC, Charlotte and Ontario (yes, THAT Ontario) all via First Class USPS mail, which while it isn't the most reliable method of shipping, did find a way to send letters and packages( one rather large at that) without any real delay whatsoever. I purchased a jazz LP from the UK on Thursday and, so far,it is on pace to arrive before this knife will. I appreciate you trying to bring rational explanations to mind, but I've been through this already. I have tracking info from USPS that said it should have been delivered by Saturday, and according to the info updated,it is still somewhere in Southern Virginia where it has seemingly been for the past 3-4 days. The state of Virginia is not that big. I would not be worried at all if the communication didnt suddenly stop, as if Im being ignored. I sent messages to about 3 different emails all tied in with CKtG, called their office, called their customer sales line, all to no avail and I have a right to be beyond concerned at this point. This is a small package coming from the Midwest, not the Middle East. It should take 3-4 days tops via first class mail. It did the first time. It took as long when a friend ordered from them as well.

I heard so much positive feedback about them and their customer service, bit Im not getting anything on that so far. Like I've said, It would be different if there was some sort of frequent communication, at least a daily email asking "Hey. Did your knife come yet?" or something, especially when It has been brought to your attention that you have a customer with a problem.. Even if its not a complete financial ripoff, that's crappy customer service to say nothing on top of not communicating at all.

I'm not gonna vent too much more, but I will say this: I just spent another day working a total of 18 hours straight on my feet hour after hour in two hot as hell kitchens. I work hard for my money every single day and few things piss me off more than thinking that I'm not getting what I paid for. If this is the wrong place to spout off, I apologize, moderators. I was just trying to see if this happened to anyone else.

5. agfromdc

agfromdc

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Also, I apologize for insulating that they ripped me off. I honestly have no basis to make that claim at this point. I understand that they presumably did their part and sent it off as usual, what I don't get is the complete lack of customer service. I have been reaching out to them for days now. With no response. I really just want my money back. I still need a new knife ASAP

6. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Whoa! If the tracking from USPS shows a delay, why are you blaming CKTG?
    I'd be talking with USPS and informing CKTG.

Not defending CKTG, but your problem is with USPS if you are reporting the correct facts.

7. davehriver

davehriver

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with Pete if they shipped it and you have a shipping number, you can't blame CKTG.  This sounds like USPS is to blame.  Although very reliable they screw up.  Last year I mailed a box from West Virginia to my son in Colorado 2 months later he got a letter from USPS stating that his box was in Alabama and asking whether he still wanted to receive it.

8. agfromdc

agfromdc

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    That's my issue. I understand that its out of their hands at this point and if they (USPS) lost it, they lost it.....but I should be able to get in contact with someone at CKtG to be advised on how to proceed (filing a claim, getting a refund,etc.) and haven't been able to do that. That's my issue with them. There is a complete lack of correspondence on their part and that is what's upsetting the most. The last I spoke with someone there was days ago when I alerted them that it should have been here by now, but it wasn't. I got a response similar to " we shipped it and its out if hands now. I hope your knife comes tomorrow." For that to be the last thing I hear from them before everything goes silent is disturbing to say the least. Again, waiting on that famous stellar customer service I myself experienced before to return to make things better and so far, nada...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    davehriver likes this.
  9. agfromdc

agfromdc

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    And for the record, I do know how to spell "nightmare". Apparently what I don't know how to do is type on an IPhone.

10. hpross

hpross

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sorry man to hear that man. but it sounds like your problem is with UPS. i wouldn't expect them to refund anything - did you insure your package... if anyone should be offering customer service at this point it should be UPS no?

Did UPS lose the package, or is it in virginia? They should be able to give you a time line. It has only been a week or so - and UPS clearly has had a problem, maybe it is still enroute... 

11. hpross

hpross

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  12. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It sounds to me like you ARE getting good customer service.  They shipped your goods, informed you of the status and the limits of their ability to control shippers.  There;'s really not much mroe the merchant can do for you and holding your hand daily is not a reasonable expectation.

What you seem to need more than anything else is patience.  Your expectations may be set a bit too high.  Shipping involves many variables and often it goes quickly and smooth, but other times there are weather delays... or worse.  It happens.

I totally understand wanting to get your money's worth... most of us do too.  But going ballistic in public and blaming the wrong people, then wanting a refund because of a shipping delay is a show of irrational behavior.  Sorry to be so blunt, but maybe the long hours in a hot kitchen is affecting your behavior in a less-than-positive way.

13. himself

himself

Exp:
    At home cook
    Isn't the shipper/vendor the one who files the claim?

14. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef

15. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes, I believe you are correct but only after it is determined that the pacel is indeed lost.  That takes time.

I had a similar experience with an online purchase from a large online store.  My package had absolutely no tracking data except "received" and after 3 weeks the company re-shipped the merchandise... only to have both the original and replacement package delivered on the same day.  There are many quirks when it comes to mail order buying and patience is a virtue.  Politeness is too.  I believe that a polite approach is why the merchant replaced my merchandise without question, as well as a promise to return the extra package when/if it arrived.  But in my case I just paid for the extra merchandise... but certainly isn't the optimal solution in most situtaitons like this.

16. hpross

hpross

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    as per the UPS website....either one can. though I doubt a shipper/vendor would less than 2 weeks from the date of shipping. however it states you can file one 24hrs after the expected date of delivery. 

17. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    crazy kids these days...

18. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    LOL  This thread was entertaining. 

19. betowess

betowess

Exp:
    Home Cook
    FWIW, I believe it was USPS, not UPS. Not that I disagree with your points.

20. wobelix

wobelix

Exp:
    Other
    Wow, what a hilarious thread.

Here in Europe the mail services have wonderful names, but even Royal Mail of Great Britain loose about 20% of their packages for Mainland Europe.

The postal services in my country -the Netherlands- is 'liberated' as in: anybody can start up a parcel delivery service (not letters, that's restricted, but parcels, yes...)

Waiting a week is nothing, waiting 6 weeks is not that strange, waiting for ever happens way too often.

One week...

Wow.

Many cheerful greetings from cold but sunny Amsterdam !