Chef Jacket Advise

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by benvillacrez, May 12, 2015.

1. benvillacrez

benvillacrez

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm staring my new job as head chef at local restaurant where I live. I'm a little excited. The chef coat that they gave is very poor quality and asked my employer is I could bring my own and they were cool.

No my question is where can buy decent chef coats online at a decent price.

Kind Regards,

Benjamin

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Do you guys use a uniform company?  If so let them deal with it.  Washing your own and keeping them white is a PITA.  Who has time for that?

3. dueh

dueh

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Amazon. 'Chefworks', or 'uncommon threads' are among my favorites.

4. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    neither of those brands are particularly high quality though. i wouldn't skimp on coats, they will pill up after a few washes and look like crap. I have a bunch of chefworks blacks right now and I don't like them at all.

5. skamper

skamper

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm a fan of ChefWorks. I prefer to bring my own jackets and pants to work, as I'm tiny and i just swim in the clothes provided. So I buy my own. I've not had a problem with my jackets, or pants, from ChefWorks, they hold up, they fit, and they also come in a variety of colours (I currently have dark blue, hot pink, and pastel pink jackets). Each one gets washed about 2-3 times a week.

6. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Not a fan of Chefworks myself. They cut their coats shorter than others. Uncommon Threads is a much better cut and fit IMO and a better value. The can be had very inexpensively here, cheaper than Amazon btw: 

http://www.jamesarnoldco.com/

7. dueh

dueh

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    so, what is your preference?
    I'm always looking for gear to try.

8. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I like Chefworks, they have a wide variety of designs, jackets and colours. I have the cool vent ones. I am sure there are other brands out there that people might use though so it is always good to hear about them too!

@SpoiledBroth  I totally know what you are talking about with the pill that forms on the jackets so I had to experiment with mine. If you don't dry them in a drier and you wash on a cool setting......they will not pill up as well as I use a wee bit of hydrogen peroxide 3% in me wash to get rid of stain instead of bleach.......works like a charm and prevents fading of colour. Not sure if that helps ya or not but it was just something I could relate to. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

9. jonnyhotcakes

jonnyhotcakes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've always used Chef Works.

Recently bought some Dickies Chef gear and I'm not mad at it.

I also have some pants from ChefUniforms.com that I love the fit of and are very comfortable, just seems the quality isn't there.

10. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bragged.

11. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sorry I mistyped and submitted when I meant to delete. Bragard is a great company with very professional styles significantly nicer then chef works etc. .....in my opinion.

12. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Braggard is very high end. They make nice stuff. The good companies seem to be euro.

13. benvillacrez

benvillacrez

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So I decided to go with Chef Code Brand ( Which was little hard to find) and Dickies. Dickies for the pants Chef Code for Coat. I Bought them through PACUniforms off on Amazon. I recently started buying directly through their site since you get 10-15% OFF with a Promo code.  No complains, maybe except for the Dickies coats they run a a size bigger. 

14. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Late to the party but Bragard is great as well as a small Cali company named Cayson Designs. I ordered one a couple of months ago for my sweetheart, very soft and quality Pima cotton. They embroider as well.

15. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Next time around look into Lost Car Chef coats.

Not the cheapest out there but they are some of the best quality coat I have ever owned.