Chef Forum banner

Cheesecake issues

6K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  drirene 
#1 ·
I've been making cheesecake and I can't seem to get it to rise properly. It tastes good but it's thickness more closely resembles pancakes than any other cheesecake I've had. I tried using a springform pan and that just made the problem worse. Any suggestions to fix the cheesecake.

#5 ·
If you do it by hand, just use a whisk instead of a wooden spoon or spatula.

If you use a mixer, also use the whisk attachment instead of the paddle attachment.

You can also whip the eggs and fold them in last, but I personally don't like the texture this method gives.

I make my cheesecake using a blender, so leaving the top cap open while blending would also introduce more air.

I made a cheesecake once in a vacuum blender, and it turned out too flat and very dense.

#7 ·
Air in the batter is a risky process. It's the primary cause of large cracks in the cheesecake. Second is uneven heating and cooling. Most methods of making cheesecake introduce some air. I take timeto get air back out of the batter because of the cracking it can trigger.

#10 ·
Seems there's not much cheese, mostly eggs.

Ingredients for 6 servings

½ cup milk
4 oz cream cheese
7 tablespoons butter
8 eggs, yolk
¼ cup flour
¼ cup cornstarch
13 large egg whites
⅔ cup granulated sugar
parchment paper
strawberry, to serve
powdered sugar, to serve
Preparation

Preheat oven to 320°F (160°C).
In a small pot over medium heat, whisk the milk, cream cheese, and butter until smooth. Remove from heat and cool.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth, then slowly drizzle in the cream mixture, stirring until evenly combined.
Sift in the flour and the cornstarch, whisking to make sure there are no lumps.
In another large bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until you see soft peaks when lifting the mixer up from the egg whites. Gradually add the sugar while continuing to beat until you see hard peaks when lifting the mixer up.
Take about ¼ of the egg whites and fold them into the egg yolk mixture, then repeat with the remaining egg whites until the batter is evenly combined.
Place a 4-inch (10-cm) parchment paper strip around the edge of a 9x3-inch (23 cm) cake pan that is already lined with parchment at the bottom. If you are using a springform pan, make sure to wrap the bottom and sides completely in foil, twice, to prevent any leakage.
Pour the batter into the parchment-lined pan and shake to release any large air bubbles.
Place the filled pan into a larger baking pan or dish lined with 2 paper towels at the bottom. The paper towels ensure that the heat is distributed evenly along the bottom of the pan. Fill the larger pan about 1-inch (2-cm) with hot water.
Bake for 25 minutes, then reduce the heat to 280°F (135°C), and bake for another 55 minutes, until the cake has risen to almost double its height.
Remove from oven, and carefully, invert the cake onto your dominant hand and peel off the paper. Be extremely careful, the cake will be hot. You can also invert the cake onto a plate, but this will cause the cake to deflate more.
Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar, slice, and serve with strawberries while still warm!
Enjoy!

#16 · (Edited)
Never heard of anyone overwhipping a cheesecake mix - so you should be fine
Would you mind sharing the recipe you used? Might be in the mix itself...[/QUOTE]
Company cheesecake
Crust
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Mix 4 tbsp butter
2 teaspoons sugar
And 1 sleeve crushed graham cracker.
Bake ten minutes. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit
Mix 19 oz. cream cheese. Mix 1 cup sugar gradually. Then add two teaspoons lemon zest and a teaspoon of vanilla. Mix in three eggs one at a time and then pour over crust. Bake one hour or until firm in the middle.

#20 ·
Well that explains it... your recipe doesn't have a very big quantity of filling. No wonder you described it as a pancake. I'd suggest calling it a cheesecake tart. :)

Try this recipe. Use a 8-inch springform pan, or a wide tart ring. Pie plate is too shallow. It will be thin in a 9-inch. If you like it really thick, use a 6-inch pan. I generally cut the sugar in the crust by 50%. Pre-bake the crust as in your recipe.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/the-frugal-gourmets-new-york-cheesecake-128476

There are several YouTube videos of this recipe too but I haven't watch them so I don't know if they are any good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.