Cheese - what is your favourite?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by volupta, Mar 5, 2010.

1. volupta

volupta

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I am a newbie and I figured I would just plunge in to the deep end and say hello with this post :D

I tried a magnifcent French cheese called Époisses de Bourgogne  last Christmas, it is an unpasterised cows milk cheese with a rind very much like camenbert but washed in the local brandy several times.

I also like Barkham Blue and Wookey Hole Cheddar /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smiles.gif

Whats your favourite?

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My favorite depends on what I'm cooking at the time, though hard to beat a good parmesan.  For just plain snacking two of my favorites are shropshire blue and Humbolt Fog.

mjb.

3. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I like the Point Reyes Bleu cheese, it's just packed with flavor.

4. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm with you on Shropshire bule Teamfat.In fact most blues tickle my palate, with the major exception of Danish blue. Metalic, harsh n nasty
    A very mature Stilton is scrummy and St Augur or Dolcelatta is fab for a light lunch in the sun. But a soggy Gorganzolla is top cheese on my scale.

I do love a Normandy Camembert baked with garlic and evoo...No rosemary. n served with Bits of tiger bread. ( sesame flavoured bloomer)

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think a large part of my fondness for Shropshire is because I first tasted it in the Shropshire area, getting on close to 20 years ago.

It was this pub called The Bishop's Tun, I believe, within sight of the Three Bishops.  I may have my geography wrong, it has been a while.  Anyway the plowman's lunch at this place was probably the best lunch I had during our visit over there, the cheese being a part of that.

mjb.

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I really can't say I have ONE favorite. I love tons and tons of cheeses. A lot of them I don't even remember because I haven't had for a while.

Saint Marcellin
    Ossau Iraty
    Abondance
    Gruyère
    Beaufort
    Tomme de Savoie
    Brocciu (from Corsica)
    Crottin de Chavignol
    Bleu de Bresse
    Roquefort
    Gorgonzola
    Vacherin
    Brillat Savarin
    Morbier
    Fromage à Raclette

.... these are just a few at the top of my head. A LOT of the cheeses I love from France I don't even know the name. And even within those names, take, say "Tomme de Savoie", well there are tons of them, and they're all different, also the age of the cheese makes a huge difference.

From Italy I love Parmeggiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano, but for pasta, not for eating with a piece of bread.

I've tasted good cheeses from Spain as well, from Switzerland, a few from England, even a few very good cheeses from the U.S. - NO, not from California! :) I think they came from Wisconsin or something.

I've never tried any cheese with live "protein" inside - although I've heard they are excellent. Maybe one day - or maybe never.

7. canadiandot

canadiandot

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A favorite cheese? That's a very silly question.

I know this sounds bad, but I'm not a huge fan of blue cheeses... There's a bitterness in them that I don't care for.

We don't have a huge selection up here, unfortunately. But I'm heading down south at the end of the month, and I'm hoping to look for a cheese shop or two...

And eventually, I will go to Paris, where I plan on eating my WEIGHT in cheese and baguettes!

8. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My weakness is cheese , I love eating cheese any kind of cheese, i used to buy food which the flavor is cheese. Maybe my mom always feed me cheese when i was young that's why until now i fun eating cheese. However cheese and milk are known to contain specific factors believed to protect against dental caries and are known as anticariogenic, in fact cheese is considered to be one of the most anticariogenic of all foods.

9. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Anything by Cypress Grove, their Humboldt Fog leading the list.
    Pretty cool that they make it 20 minutes from my house.

10. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Always a contributing factor, Jim.

It's like me and flour. Do I really think Weisenberger is the best flour around? Or is it that the mill is only 45 miles away, and I can buy it right at the back door? Depondent answers not.

11. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know if it's much of a factor, maybe so.
    I'm not saying it's the best, just that it's my current favorite.
    I just feel fortunate to have such easy access to it.
    The Loleta Cheese Factory is another one that's a short drive away.

12. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Aged extra sharp white cheddar and good parm. Both are hard to get around here.

13. volupta

volupta

Exp:
    Culinary Student
     I've never been a huge fan of blue cheeses either but Barkham Blue is probably one of the few I can stomach, if you can get hold of it please do try it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  14. chefboyarg

chefboyarg

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I find myself liking blue cheeses more and more. A good chevre has always been a favorite.

Also interesting little thing about cheese I found out the other day whilst cooking a burger - Kraft singles when melted to the point of bubbling then allowed to harden taste EXACTLY like Cheez Nips.

15. chefray

chefray

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     If I have to nail just one down, it's Gruyere. 

16. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
           My favorite cheese?

Oh, I don't know.  I do love cheese and have some that I purchase more often than others.

But what I really enjoy are well thought out cheese tastings.  I just love the journey of flavors and how each cheese plays off of the others.  Yum, Yum, Yum!

Hmmm..If I have to pick just one>>>>>I'll have to get back to you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif
      dan

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  17. fr33_mason

fr33_mason

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There is a goat cheese from El salvador.  My friends from there always have it.  It is crumbly and salty.  They use it in soups, salads and my favourite, PUPUSAS! mmmmm....[​IMG]   Every one of my friends and their families just call it de queso de cabra or in english, goat cheese.

18. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love a nice manchego, a creamy roquefort, and a sharp asiago.  Those are my favorites for eating raw.

For cooking I like sharp white cheddar and gruyere.

Parmesan is to food what Bach is to music.  Like it or not it's the undisputable best.

19. canadiandot

canadiandot

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'll keep my eye out for it! Thank you so much!

20. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    So many different types.....but right now I have been grilling Halloumi which is out of this world ( a Cypriot cheese ) and the other I have been cooking with is Pecorino Romano ....like everything else it depends on what the dish is....made raclette twice this winter and loved it.....