Cheese sauce with milk or cream ?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jim pesmark, May 6, 2017.

1. jim pesmark

jim pesmark

Exp:
    At home cook
    Any of you ever tried cheese sauce with milk and with cream? I want to make some cheese sauce with cheddar cheese. I have tryed it with milk before but I have never tried it with heavy cream. Which do you think is better heavy cream or milk ?

2. bloodymary

bloodymary

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I use heavy whipping cream and milk in my Mac & Cheese sauce. Yes. I said whipping cream. It has a lower fat content than heavy cream. Generally, heavy cream is most appreciated in sauces since its high fat content will prevent curdling and requires less time to cook down.

Make a roux with melted butter and flour.

Add seasonings and cheese until smooth.

Add fresh cooked pasta.

• 1 t. Dry mustard
    • 1/4 c. AP flour
    • 1/2 t. pepper
    • 1/2 t. Kosher salt
    • 1/4 c. Butter
    • 2 c. ¬†White cheddar
    • 2 c. Heavy whipping cream
    • 1 c. Milk

3. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    As a rule, heavy cream will be much, much richer, but will also be more stable to boiling. If you're using cheddar, you've got to avoid boiling anyway, or it will string and probably separate. I'd use milk, myself.

Note that the old thing about scalding milk before using isn't necessary unless you're using a nearly-raw product.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You got many varied responses in the first thread you posted. Did you mean to start another thread about the same topic? And have you still not made the mac n cheese?

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Actually this was the first thread he started on the topic. It was the second post of the same topic that got all the responses.