Cheese Revisited

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by risa, Mar 22, 2002.

1. risa

risa

Some stupid questions from a novice cheese taster:

1. I'm exploring cheese selections now that I've found places I can buy from with good selections (online and Whole Foods in St. Louis). I finally tasted Manchego with some membrillo. Good combo and the manchego has that nutty taste I love. It reminded me a bit of Asiago although asiago isn't as dry, or does that just depend on the cheese producer?

2. I also bought a small wheel of L'Explorateur. First bite, delicious. Second bite, ammonia -- yuck. The Whole Foods packaged date was the same day as when I bought it, so I thought this would be fresh. Not the case. I flipped the wheel over and there was the Meilleur Avant date on a tiny little sticker -- early February. Oh well, lesson learned. There are at least bits that aren't completely overripe yet. Question: edible rind, oui?

3. This is related to 2. How does a cheese novice know when a rind is edible or not? I never eat the rind on camembert, yet it's edible right? The manchego's rind looked a bit tough and waxy, so I cut that off, too. At the moment, I just take the rind off everything since I don't know any better.

2. kimmie

kimmie

Hi Risa.

As a quick response, soft-ripened cheeses with bloomy rinds include Brie, Camembert, and St. Andre. Most have a downy white, edible rind with a smooth paste. The flavor varies from a pleasant, creamy taste to a rich, buttery taste. There are many more cheeses with edible rinds. You might want to check google.com, type "edible rind" > cheese in the search box.

Here's a link

Here's another link for everything you want to know about cheese

Enjoy your cheese! :lips:

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Check out the Wine Merchant in Clayton.....phenominal cheeses and the guys are real educators...ask for Bob. I'm surprised that Whole Foods cheese was off, I buy from them regularly, that's my grocery store of choice these days...Fish was gorgeous oui? I love the freeby mascarpone mixed with fig preserves usually out at the olive bar....what a combo!!!

4. kimmie

kimmie

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  6. zouzouni

zouzouni

7. risa

risa

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I completely forgot about this post. I'm on a Canadian white cheddar binge at the moment, so I haven't been exploring. I also haven't had a chance to go to St. Louis in the last couple of months, so no access to good cheese unless I buy online.