Cheese Revisited

Joined May 11, 2001
Some stupid questions from a novice cheese taster:

1. I'm exploring cheese selections now that I've found places I can buy from with good selections (online and Whole Foods in St. Louis). I finally tasted Manchego with some membrillo. Good combo and the manchego has that nutty taste I love. It reminded me a bit of Asiago although asiago isn't as dry, or does that just depend on the cheese producer?

2. I also bought a small wheel of L'Explorateur. First bite, delicious. Second bite, ammonia -- yuck. The Whole Foods packaged date was the same day as when I bought it, so I thought this would be fresh. Not the case. I flipped the wheel over and there was the Meilleur Avant date on a tiny little sticker -- early February. Oh well, lesson learned. There are at least bits that aren't completely overripe yet. Question: edible rind, oui?

3. This is related to 2. How does a cheese novice know when a rind is edible or not? I never eat the rind on camembert, yet it's edible right? The manchego's rind looked a bit tough and waxy, so I cut that off, too. At the moment, I just take the rind off everything since I don't know any better.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Hi Risa.

As a quick response, soft-ripened cheeses with bloomy rinds include Brie, Camembert, and St. Andre. Most have a downy white, edible rind with a smooth paste. The flavor varies from a pleasant, creamy taste to a rich, buttery taste. There are many more cheeses with edible rinds. You might want to check google.com, type "edible rind" > cheese in the search box.

Here's a link

Here's another link for everything you want to know about cheese

Enjoy your cheese! :lips:

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Check out the Wine Merchant in Clayton.....phenominal cheeses and the guys are real educators...ask for Bob. I'm surprised that Whole Foods cheese was off, I buy from them regularly, that's my grocery store of choice these days...Fish was gorgeous oui? I love the freeby mascarpone mixed with fig preserves usually out at the olive bar....what a combo!!!

Joined May 30, 2002
Originally posted by Risa
Some stupid questions from a novice cheese taster:

1. Good combo and the manchego has that nutty taste I love. It reminded me a bit of Asiago although asiago isn't as dry, or does that just depend on the cheese producer?

Could it be that you tasted older manchego? like gouda, manchego comes in versions that have been left to ripen, therefore become crustier, saltier and more concentrated in flavor.

2. I also bought a small wheel of L'Explorateur. First bite, delicious. Second bite, ammonia -- yuck. The Whole Foods packaged date was the same day as when I bought it, so I thought this would be fresh. Not the case. I flipped the wheel over and there was the Meilleur Avant date on a tiny little sticker -- early February.

Whole Foods in Houston would have taken the product back and apologized fifty times for the mistake. Did you try that?
Having said that, I find their cheese deli good but not very imaginative as the same cheeses are found day in day out.

3. This is related to 2. How does a cheese novice know when a rind is edible or not?

I usually try it:lips: If it tastes good, I keep eating:))

zouzouni

Joined May 11, 2001
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I completely forgot about this post. I'm on a Canadian white cheddar binge at the moment, so I haven't been exploring. I also haven't had a chance to go to St. Louis in the last couple of months, so no access to good cheese unless I buy online.

Top Bottom