cheese on seafood

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gungasim, Mar 14, 2013.

1. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    anybody, am i alone in this?

2. dutch oven

dutch oven

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What kind of seafood and what kind of cheese?

3. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    clam sauce 

4. dutch oven

dutch oven

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That's s lot of cheese.

5. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    alot of people mostly the eyetalians tend to think like that  cause their great grannie Pancetta told them so,but i sir refuse to acknowledge their antiquated customs

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
  7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    So many cooking myths, so much of it is dogma.

8. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
  9. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    What a nice presentation, thank you for sharing your work Vic.

@ Gunga: Ordo has pointed you in the right direction. It is all up to personal choice.

I see you like alot of cheese on your clam sauce.

Petals.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  10. dutch oven

dutch oven

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Are those fresh chopped clams or from a can?

11. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    my wife wont let me spend the money on canned clams so i go down to the water and dig them up myself

12. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    There are many examples of cheese and seafood. This is not something strange or something that some one said should avoided.

Coquilles St. Jacque is scallops with a creamy wine sauce with Gruyere added.

Shrimp with white wine and garlic over pasta is almost always finished with freshly grated Parmesan.

Calamari tubes stuffed with ricotta

Put a cheese sauce over any grilled fish.

It depends on what kind of cheese then.........

13. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    thank you, you have no idea how many know it all's have told me over the years that im crazy  and my taste buds were soiled  by cigarettes and the food i cook

14. dutch oven

dutch oven

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What's the sauce. Looks a bit oily

15. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
     normally with a for a  bowl of clams that size  i'll melt two sticks of butter for dipping, sometimes if theres any left i'll drink it /img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Normally I'd say to each his own.  Lord knows I'm not one to live by the rules of authenticity but I also don't go around putting down other people's culture just because I like something a little different.  No matter where you're from you should know that people love their Grandma's cooking.

My clam sauce does not need cheese.  I love the flavor of the clams and the olive oil and the bit of chili flake, and the freshness of the parsley.  That's all it needs.

17. brentberger

brentberger

Exp:
    Server
    I feel cheese can be utilized with seafood in certain instances depending upon the combination of flavors. Alfredo with shrimp definitely deserves parmesan however if the fish is the main focus of the dish, then I see using cheese with discretion.

I work at a sushi restaurant that features mozzarella cheese baked with salmon, jalapenos, red onions, crispy onions, spicy mayo and its probably my favorite of our signature rolls. Yes its not for everyone but it usually always gets good reviews from customers

18. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I personally wouldn't do it. I can think of a few exceptions, like a mild mascarpone/cream cheese, or something like that used to enrich, say, a pasta or risotto. But as a general rule, I would avoid cheese with seafood. 

I just think that cheese usually has a strong flavor, and fish/seafood usually has a delicate flavor, and the two just don't pair well together. 

The concept comes from Italian cuisine, where most of the cheese is quite distinct and pungent enough that I can see why the tradition was adopted. 

I currently work in an very high end Italian restaurant, and we follow the no cheese/seafood rule. Of course, if one of our guests requests parm for their pasta and clams, we give it to them. But we all mumble about them "not getting it." Lol. 

out of curiousity I tried some parm on a red clam sauce I made (held a couple of bites back from the bowl I sent to a guest) and microplaned on a decent bit of parmesan and ate it. While I wouldn't describe the result as repugnant or anything, I certainly felt like the cheese lent a clashing flavor to the dish and took away a bit from the natural briny/sea-ness of the pasta. 

19. dutch oven

dutch oven

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Cheeses on clams is just wrong

20. gungasim

gungasim

Exp:
    At home cook
    come on, the other day i had a Gortons fish fillet for lunch and put six slices of provolone on it