Cheese Cake as a filling?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cake girl, Nov 17, 2005.

1. cake girl

cake girl

Hi

I was wondering if i could use cheese cake as a filling i am making a chocolate cake and was thinking about a filling i am getting tired of using buttercream and regular stuff like that and i got to thinking about cheese cake i mean its made with cream cheese so its spreadable and people make chocolate cheese cake all the time so the combination would work and so i guess what i am getting at is has anyone ever done this or herd of someone doing it ? :confused:

2. sucrechef

sucrechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It should work fine as far as I can guess. I have used a white chocolate/cream cheese frosting/filling with chocolate cake before. It is similar to the cream cheese icing you would use with carrot cake but with the addition of melted white chocolate...you need to melt the white chocolate over a double boiler, cool to room temp and the icing should be at about the same temp when you add the chocolate to it. If the cream cheese is too cold, the chocolate will sieze up when you add it.

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Sure you can use cheesecake as a filling!!

It seems too much work to bake a cheesecake, only to mash it up and use it as a filling, which is why a cream cheese icing makes more sense. Alternatively, you can bake a thin cheesecake, freze it, and use it as a layer between two choc. cakes, without smooshing it up.

4. lwp

lwp

Yep, that's the way I like to do it. I use a cheesecake layer between 2 flourless chocolate cake layers (then pour ganache over it) for one of my cakes and it works great. My cake is heavy and dense but I'm sure it would work just as well with any type of cake.