Cheese and Wine Please

Joined Jan 15, 2000
First, let me say that I am no fromagiere, but a beginning cheese lover. If I were choosing, though, I would try to create a progression of flavors, much like in a properly structured degustation menu. Lead with lighter wines and milder cheeses, and end with more assertively flavored cheeses with heavier wines or wines with a port-like characteristic. I personally would avoid cheeses that have too much ammonia flavor in the rind as it tends to foul the buds for tasting wine. I would also surf the web for restaurants who focus on artisanal cheeses - they're expensive but worth it.

[This message has been edited by David Jones (edited 11-13-2000).]

Joined May 29, 1999
check out fromage.com, they pair wine with cheese, you can buy from them or just use their suggestions.

I love the spanish cheeses now and big reds.

serve a spiced bread or raisin bread and baguetts, crackers, port fruit and biscotti.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
we have an incredible wine and cheese shop here (wine merchant)....neal's yard dairy
colston basset shropshire, Egg farm dairy old croton, NYD Isle of Mull cheddar, red dragon (whole mustard cheese)....these are ones I have left in my fridge....they even carry the swiss dry beef blunderflesch(?)
the guy who runs it calls cheese a living thing and is so thorogh in finding gems.

I usually don't eat just cheese....it's usually with olives or pate or fruit or pickled veg or meats....NYTimes did an article on pairing cheese with wine about 6-8 monthes ago...I agree if you are doing a progressive tasting mild to strong...same with wine.

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited 11-13-2000).]

Joined Dec 30, 1999
This is quoted from an article I archived a while back:
licklips.gif

"Fine wine and cheese is a traditional offering at most social gatherings. But because there are so many varieties of each to choose from, finding the perfect match can be a challenge. Today, Martha’s guest Gina Gallo, granddaughter of California wine pioneer Julio Gallo, discusses some of her favorite wine-and-cheese combinations, which come from the Sonoma Valley.

For a tangy goat cheese, a popular entertaining choice, Gina recommends a light, not-too-oaky Sauvignon Blanc. The wine’s fruitiness nicely offsets the cheese’s rich flavor. Another of her favorite combinations is a full, smooth Monterey Jack cheese with a delicate Pinot Noir, both of which are soft and silky on the tongue. Gina is particularly fond of Pinot Noir because it’s a very versatile and unusual wine whose flavor evolves as it sits in the glass (so the first sip will taste different from the last). Finally, for an intense cheese like a triple cream, Gina suggests a big-bodied red, such as Gallo’s Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. "

Latest posts

Top Bottom