Cheap end grain Cutting Board

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by betowess, Mar 18, 2013.

1. betowess

betowess

Exp:
    Home Cook
    FYI, I saw an end grain board approximately 14x14 inch with two of the sides slightly crescent curved in shape - maybe 1 & 3/8 to 1 & 1/2 inch thick for sale at Lowes for $30.00... It had four feet on it too, to keep it dry on the bottom. It looked really good for the price, made in Canada too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. vic7012y

vic7012y

Exp:
    At home cook
  3. betowess

betowess

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yeah, the ones in my store looked darker than that picture, but its that same one I believe.

4. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    $30 is not a lot to lose even if the board doesn't work out for you. 

Couple of caveats though: 
    1. 14" x 14" is pretty small, less than 200 sq in.  If you're thinking about this as the only or even primary prep surface, I urge you to get something bigger; 300 sq in is by no means generous; and
    2. You get what you pay for.  At any rate, the cheap cutting boards I've bought in the past warped and/or split very quickly.  Your luck may be better.
    BDL

vic7012y likes this.
  5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've gotten very used to my 18"x24" boards (432 sq-in)

6. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We've got two boards permanently on our counters at home.  It's a galley kitchen, sink and stove on different sides; with an 18" diameter round board on the wet side, and an 18" x 24" rectangle on the hot side.  18" x 24" is a convenient size for a primary board, but hardly huge.   It's nice to have two boards. 

BDL