Charred/grilled romaine for Caesar?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by natethegreatt1, Feb 21, 2014.

1. natethegreatt1

natethegreatt1

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Howdy,

I'm thinking of grilling some romaine and making a Caesar of half grilled/charred romaine.

I've never had grilled romaine, but I do like the taste of charred chicken on a Caesar.

Have you guys had a grilled romaine and should I proceed with it?

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes I love charring the romaine.  Keep the romaine heart whole and slice it in 2 lengthwise.  Brush lightly with olive oil on both sides and place on the grill face down until it gets nice marks.  It doesn't take long at all, maybe a minute.  Then turn over for a few seconds and remove.  They I like to drizzle it with caesar dressing.  It's great to use a knife and fork to eat your salad lol.  Here's a picture of one I did a few months ago, it's hidden until the shrimp but you get the idea.

french fries likes this.
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cut heart of romaine in half lengthwise. Brush lightly with olive oil on cut side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on grill. Grill just enough to slightly char on edges and get a smoky flavor, turning once during cooking to get a crisscross pattern and better char distribution. Two minutes max (guesstimate, never actually timed it).

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This is exactly what I wrote.

natethegreatt1 likes this.
  5. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Personally, I don't care for wilted, hot lettuce.  Give it a try and see how you like it.

6. natethegreatt1

natethegreatt1

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love the idea, here's my only problem:

I want to serve it as a chopped salad, still. Mainly because I want to also include half fresh romaine leaves mixed in. Unless I'm missing something, there's no reason I couldn't chop the romaine heart once I grill it, correct?

7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes I realize that, my post was 1 minute behind yours. My apologies if you think I was trying to steal your thunder as that is not the case. I was merely typing, which I do fairly slowly, as your reply was being posted so I didn't see it

8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That is absolutely correct and as long as it's encounter with the grill is a short one, it should be still be crispy and not wilted.

9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Grilling lettuce!! Now there's a novel idea .... for me. Well I've grilled radicchio, but never romaine. This thread really makes me want to try! Thanks @Koukouvagia  and @cheflayne  for sharing the technique. 

10. natethegreatt1

natethegreatt1

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ok so now I have chicken breasts and I want to pan sear them for a nice crust.

What spices other than salt and pepper should I put on the chicken?

**I'm really looking for one or two seasonings that will really set off the rest of the caesar salad. I was thinking lemon thyme...? Any other suggestions?

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Haha no have no thunder and if I did you're welcome to steal it lol. Forgive me, I sit at the computer first thing in the morning, anything I type before my 13th sip of coffee is always groggy. I should have said "great minds think alike!!"

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    N
    o reason at all but grilling it whole makes it much easier to grill. Chop away but again I have to stress how satisfying it is to cut a salad with a knife and fork!

13. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Interesting discussion. I don't prefer grilled over the traditional but reading this made me think, what if you cut the heart lengthwise and then put it in a freezer and were careful not to actually freeze it? I would think you could get more surface char while minimizing the wilting. I may have to try this tomorrow. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't know.  I find that romaine is very durable and as long as you just char it a little bit it doesn't wilt, it has a good balance between char, and a little wilt and still crisp on the inside.  

Whatever happened to the wilted salad anyway?  Wasn't it all the rage to eat wilted spinach salads?

15. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other