Charlie Palmer at Bloomingdale's - Costa Mesa, CA

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Guest, May 22, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This is my favorite local fine dining spot. http://www.charliepalmer.com/Properties/CharliePalmerAtBloomingdales/

Prix Fixe menu's are reasonable and change weekly. Here is the menu from today...

Prix Fixe Lunch Menu
    menu available 05/17 - 05/23

First Course
    CHILLED WHITE GAZPACHO  
    TOASTED ALMOND, PARSLEY, GREEN GRAPES

OR

FETTUCCINI PASTA  
    PANCETTA, SHAVED PECORINO, OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES  

Main Course
    CHICKEN FRIED CHICKEN  
    CORN BREAD PUREE, ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE GRAVY, PICKLED TOMATILLO

OR

MUSHROOM CRUSTED SCOTTISH SALMON  
    TRUFFLE CORN PUREE, BRAISED LEEKS, SCALLION OIL  

Dessert
    PASSION FRUIT TART  
    TOASTED COCONUT ICE CREAM, KIWI MANGO SALAD, CARAMELIZED MERINGUE

OR

MOLTEN CHOCOLATE CAKE  
    KAHLUA FUDGE, COFFEE ICE CREAM, CANDIED LEMON

OR

SEASONAL MIXED BERRIES  
    CHANTILLY CREME  

Wine
    RIESLING (OFF-DRY), REUSCHER-HAART, PIESPORTER, MOSEL 2008  

PINOT NOIR, MORGAN, 12 CLONES, STA. LUCIA HIGHLANDS 2007  

$26 per person, $35 with a glass of wine
    one choice from each course

I went with the Fettuccini, Fried Chicken, and Passion Fruit Tart... and the Riesling. 

Pasta's seem to always be spot on and today was no exception. I wanted to scoop up the rest of the pasta sauce, but I didn't want to look like a pig. A previous visit when I had a Pesto Cream Orchiette Pasta, I was wiping up every bit of that sauce with my finger and licking it clean.

Entree's are usually quite good, but today did not quite live up to the norm. Making a fried chicken dish is bold, as there are so many great fried chicken recipes out there. This was not the best fried chicken, but as a whole it was very good. Very basic, yet complex... it was a piece of fried chicken breast with two sauces on the plate, the cornbread puree tasted more like a bernaise sauce or something and I had no clue that was what it was when eating it except that it tasted good. The tomatillo was a great contrast. The chicken itself was moist and well cooked, my issue was the breading basically came right off and it wasn't the best breading I've had. Still, if you don't look at it as "Fried Chicken" then it is a great dish.

The thing I love most about this restaurant is how perfect their desserts are... it may not sound appetizing to me at all, but it has always been so delicious! I am not a dessert guy AT ALL. It is not often you can eat something that changes your perspective and I continue to be impressed. Compliments to the Chef!