Charcoal Smoker/Grill

Joined Aug 21, 2009
Hi Steven

First of all thank you for talking some time be here and answer our questions. 

The time has come for me to get a new barbecue and I was thinking about getting one that is a combo smoker/grill.  Space is a bit of an issue as I do not have a very big backyard at all so I was considering an upright one.  What brand(s) do you recommend and what features should I be looking for when I am shopping around?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Joined May 5, 2011
I would recommend a Big Green Egg--the larger model, if you can afford it. BGE is one of the best combo grills I know of, and if you buy a "nest" rather than a worktable, they don't take up much space. They are tremendously efficient, hold their heat well, can achieve very high temperatures (such as for searing), yet can be depended on to smoke a brisket or pork shoulder all night long with little attention from the pit master. 

Joined Aug 21, 2009
Thanks for your advice.  I was reading up a bit on BGE Canada and it seems that they are the sole distributor and apparently the price of a small one here is the same or very close to a large one in the US.  Still though even taking the price into consideration it looks to me that it will last me a lifetime.

Joined May 5, 2011
I think they are the best of the kamado-style cookers. They do need some protection in the wintertime, though. Someone recently sent me a copy of their cookbook--very impressive! 

Top Bottom