Charbroiler gradients?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by rbandu, Jun 10, 2012.

1. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Odd question, I guess.  We use an older model charbroiler with no gradients on the dials.  Anyone know of a quick fix or an add-on I could install to ensure consistency?  

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Cook something and when you find an acceptabl;e temp mark the dial and the plate behind it by scratching a mark there.. Most dials ar universal as far as attaching and the way they are notched.so try to get another if possible maybe off an old stove.

3. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Could do that, but the knobs themselves are stainless and are set about an inch away from the unit itself.  I've considered just sharpee-ing on a few ticks but I have no way of doing it for the knob itself and the unit is so sensitive a fraction of an inch makes a huge difference.  I'll take a photo and post it so you can see.

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    LOL!  That's old school for sure.  :D

5. rocktrns

rocktrns

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Yeah I always wondered how to do the same.  At my job we have 2 long hot spots on the grill that turn that part white,and it sucks because we really cannot cook on those parts.  The only good thing about those spots are that they put grill marks on things fast.

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    For grill marks thats the way it should be.

7. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Pittsburgh Rare.

8. justanothercook

justanothercook

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I have the same issue with the grill/flatop I work on, nudge the knob a wee bit and it ends up to hot, go by flame height.What I do is crank the knob all the way then drop the flame by half and its about right.

9. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    @rocktrns:  Turn...the flame down.  If that doesn't work, or if you have a grill that just has the on/off knob, they all have adjustable points that you'll have to use a screwdriver to change.  If you hate it and you don't use a marking area on your grill, check it out or post a pic of your setup and I'll tell you where to find it.  Mine's adjustable and the fine tuning screws are right by the knobs.  Post a few pics, front and front underside angle.

My menu has everything from sirloins to strips to filets and ribeyes to salmon to chicken...every area of my grill has a different setting.  I'd only ever use a white-hot spot for something super thin or just marking before finishing in the convection (@sshats that want a well-done filet.  Make them wait.).

10. chefct

chefct

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You need to play with different meats. Watch the flame as your guide. It is a more reliable way then marking the knob, as outside temperature changes adjustments need to be made depending on different factors.