Chanterelles

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Aug 10, 2003.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    The season is in full swing.... last weekend I "harvested" it is not hunting when you go out and just pick....I got 20 # and a fresh chicken of the woods....to die for. Anyway what do you guys make with your chanterelles? I'm off to secure more and will post what I do with them later...Thanks

2. chefkell

chefkell

I like them better than morels myself. Probably my favorite. I like Porcini a lot too, but I've never found one of those laying around:D

3. miahoyhoy

miahoyhoy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You reminded me to take a walk in the forest and lo and behold, there they were! Like gold nuggets glimmering in the faint sun.
    The first thing I do with Chanterelles is cook some in a little butter with s & p. Then I cook some in a little olive oil s & p.
    Then I'll do it again with butter, garlic, leeks and a touch of white wine and toss with Campanella pasta.
    then I'll Sear a steak, remove from pan, sautee the Chanterells with shallots and garlic, hit em with a little brandy and finish with butter pour over steak.
    then i'll, well you get the picture right?
    Here's a menu I did last year...
    lates,
    Jon

Locally Harvested
    Chanterelles and Oyster Mushrooms

Appetizers

Truffled Risotto
    with Chanterelles, Oyster Mushrooms and Toasted Pine Nuts

Summer Mesclun Salad
    with a Vidalia Onion Artichoke Vinaigrette and Three Mushroom Tartlet

Smoked Duck and Oyster Mushroom Bruscetta
    with Cilantro oil and Aged Balsamico

Mushroom and Saffron Consomme’
    with a Chanterelle Royale

Entrees

Pan Seared Diver Scallops
    Braised in Sweet Butter with Chanterelles and Rosemary

Chanterelle Duxelle Crusted Red Snapper
    with an Oyster Mushroom Ratatouille

Oven Roasted Rack of Australian Lamb
    with a Roasted Garlic and Oyster Mushroom Ragout

Pan Seared Venison Loin
    with a Chanterelle and Oyster Mushrooms Sautéed with Bacon and Caraway Seeds

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love Chanterelles any way, shape, or form, though unlike one of the above posts, I do like Morels more than Chanterelles. I have had then many different ways and in many different dishes but one of my fondest memories of Chanterelles is from culinary school, when a bunch of us went out mushroom hunting. We can across the motherload of Chanterelles. We used them in pastas, in risottos, in ragouts, etc. Days later we still had a ton of them left, and they were all on the verge of going bad, so in one of our last desparate attempts to use them up, we sauteed them and put them on top of hot dogs. With a hint of mustard, some caramelized onions, and a little sauerkraut, these were some of the best hot dogs I ever had!!!!

5. chefkell

chefkell

Any similarity to the "Royal with Cheese"?:p

Menu looks killer Jon.

I'm honestly a fairweather mushroom guy. Whatever I can get is my favorite of the week!

6. miahoyhoy

miahoyhoy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    :p :p :p :p :p :p back at ya Kelly.:beer: