Challenge September 2013 - Figs

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cheflayne, Aug 31, 2013.

1. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah I know what you mean, crazy weekend for me as well. Too many ideas, not enough thyme, of wait, it is supposed to be figs not time. Oh well not enough of either at any rate. Monday is my Friday, so maybe Tuesday.

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Beautiful petals! What are those dried rounds of orange in the 3rd picture, is that orange?

Good choice on the "greek" figs lol!

3. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Petals, your dish could easily be presented in a tajine; if it weren't for the alcohol used it could be called a North-African dish with all those spices . Stunning how you always succeed in making such colorful dishes.

Wish I could have tasted with you a glass of that 20 year old tawny you used! BTW, clever idea on pricking the figs so you can present them uncut, I have to remember that one.

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    @ FF: I think that is where I should have held back....used a white plate, your so right .

@ Thank you Cheflayne, it was a joy to make this dish with you in mind.

@ KK: They had to be Greek , OPA !

@ Chris: I have a tajine but the addition of alcohol made my ensemble swing the other way like you said.  20 year port ? I am at not home but tomorrow I shall post you a better one,  smoother.

Some woman like Stuart Weitzman's shoes, or perfume by Baccarat Les Larmes Sacrees de Thebes or even a handbag by Ginja Tanaka, but I will humbly settle for a refined glass of port and a fireplace.....life is short.

5. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Quail with poached pear, stuffed with compote of fig and apricot and nut paste

I love these challenges because they stimulate to experiment. This one I made yesterday and went quite well. Here's what I did;

- peel and poach pears in 100/50 water/sugar with lemon juice and 4 cracked green cardamom pods. Test pears for doneness, set aside and let pears cool in the syrup.
    - chop half dried figs and apricots. Simmer submerged with some pear syrup until fruit starts to soften up. Sieve through a fine mesh but keep the syrup. Let the fig/apricot compote cool.
    - Reduce that syrup which is now an infusion of pear/fig/apricot/lemon/cardamom. Add same amount of chicken stock and reduce again. At the last moment before serving, add a few chunks of very cold butter, shake the saucepan until butter dissolves and sauce emulsifies.
    - Toast a handful of almond slivers and pistachios in a dry pan (they are left-overs from other recent recipes). Keep a few toasted slivers aside for serving purpose. Turn the rest in a mortar into a coarse texture. Add same amount of butter, s&p and mix into a paste.
    - Cut a flat base on the pears for stability. Cut a cap off. Hollow the pears, add a small tsp of the nut paste, fill with the fig/apricot compote, top off with another tsp of nut paste. The pears go in the oven 15 minutes before the quail does. Total time in the oven is around 30 minutes.
    - Boil potatoes, cube, let cool and panfry in sunflower oil.
    - Color the quails in a pan on all sides. Put in a hot oven (200°C) for 15 minutes.

Taste is surprisingly good. Certainly well worth another try. Plating lacks color; ...Petals,...it looks so beige, help!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    petalsandcoco likes this.
  6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think the quail looks better than my squab.

I may be fixing dinner soon for a friend of ours whose wife passed away yesterday, perhaps that will motivate me to do a nice dish worthy of this challenge.

mjb.

7. chefwilsonuk

chefwilsonuk

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Great plates guys,

Not sure i'm going to get a chance to enter this month ;( Snowed under with menus

If i do i will be pulling out a dish from my commis days, a take on the british shepheards pie using confit duck leg as the base and sweet potato mash to top, served with a 'special' roasted fig

8. cook-e

cook-e

Exp:
    Home Cook
    WOW - gorgeous.  Must have been amazing!!

9. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    fresh panache striped tiger figs

purple haze chevre

smoked almonds

Oloroso Xeres vinegar chuntney syrup

fresh brown turkey figs

redskin potato salad with Oloroso steeped mission figs and bacon tossed in a dijon Xeres vinegar dressing

vanilla cinnamon candied Marcona almonds

fried white anchovies sprinkled with a chiffonade of fried fig leave

fried caperberries

10. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Chicken roulade with pecan nuts and black figs filling, with champignons

(Thanks Lucas for the idea of roulades)

Filling: pecan nuts, figs, home made mustard, olive oil, pepper flakes, S&P, lemon juice. All in a mortar. Tip: use just a few figs to avoid an over sweet taste.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Had that friend over for dinner, the one whose wife just passed away.  We started out with rotten milk and rotten meat ( cheese and charcuterie ) to nibble on with the wine.  Served a cheese and cheddar soup next, with garlic breadsticks.  For the next course, a beef loin roast with a fig and red wine sauce, bacon braised spinach on the side.  Didn't really have much time to take pictures, but did get one passable shot of the beef:

Gary and my wife both enjoyed the sweet fig sauce, it had just a bit of cayenne in it, not at all like the version I did with the squab.

And I think Gary enjoyed getting out of the house and talking about old times.  A very pleasant evening.

mjb.

french fries likes this.
  12. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Fig and Pear on Puff 

With a drizzle of honey & cinnamon.

french fries likes this.
  13. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Last but not least said the tortoise to the hare.....or something like that...
    Here is the camembert with fig jam, wrapped in proscuitto and puff pastry....
    Before.... After.....

I still can't find any fresh figs here....the grocery stores all say next week there will be plenty...go figure. Still have a few things rolling around though so we'll see.

petalsandcoco likes this.
  14. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I can attest that Joey’s ‘figgy cheese’ was OUTSTANDING!  Even my husband enjoyed his with the sweet olive oil tortas.  VERY ONO MY SISTA’!  (that’s delicious)

15. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The whole idea of durangojo creation is amazing. Something to try.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  16. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pretty damn spectacular dish there chef!

17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh my gosh joey what a dish!  What do you do with this?  Serve it as a slice, or as a dip?

18. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Great looking dish Joey, I really like the pics.
    Nice flavour combo.

19. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Miss KK, it was FABULOUS!!  She served it with sweet olive oil tortas and we simply sliced that beauty, it OOZZZZEDD wonderfully!!!  VERY YUMMY!!

20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Wait, you and Joey hung out in real life???