Chef Forum banner

Challenge October 2013 - Cabbage

24K views 227 replies 25 participants last post by  kaneohegirlinaz 
#1 ·
Oh decissions, decissions....
I just could not make up my mind,. So many options, so many ideas !
It is October now and this months challenge is beginning.
Normally this is our hottest month, yet yesterday it was as cold as during mid winter. I was having dinner wearing 3 jachets!
So, cold foods are out!
And winter foos are in (I will probably regret this in a couple of days).

This months challenge: CABBAGE,
Or basically everything from the brassica family,
So give us your cabbage soup, coleslaw, brussels sprouts, sauerkraut, pickled cabbages!
Western style, Asian style, Fusion style.
Go wild!

Let the games begin!

#102 ·

An oven roasted cruciferous vegetable timbale with turnip, rutabaga, kolhrabi, and eggplant seasoned with cardamom and coriander. Tossed with pomegranate arils, walnuts, parsley and a pomegranate red wine vinaigrette. served with a flank steak with a pomegranate demi sauce and a roasted red pepper and white cheddar polenta.

#103 · (Edited)
Coq au Vin with Glazed Onions, Sauteed Mushrooms, Sauteed Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

- Dice bacon and place in a cold pan with minced garlic.

- Slowly render the fat until the bacon is caramelized.

- Cut the stalk side of the sprouts and make an X in it with your knife (so it cooks faster and doesn't stay tough).

- Add the raw brussel sprouts to the bacon fat and cook slowly.

French Fries, you had me at "Brussel Sprouts and bacon". Awesome awesome awesome.

#104 ·
I didn't check the thread for a couple of days and it's amazing what has been posted so far.
I've been trying to respond to every dish posted, but I don't know if I can keep up with that!

I'm glad to see that Sauerkraut and Kimchi have been entered!!!!

Slayer: You mention a sweet cabbage dish. That sounds interesting.
So do the other dishes. Looking forward to more entries!

K-girl: nice salad and pickle.
I've never heard of watermelon radishes. Do they taste just like normal radishes?

Gene: That's my kind of dish. I like using cabbage as a stir fry.
Have you ever tried making nasi goreng (Indonesian fried rice)? I normally use cabbage in that one.

FF: that's a good looking coq au vin, and those sprouts are really bright! Nice sounding combo.

Mise: a very interesting dish, and nice plating. Those Okra are huge!

Phatch: what did you eat with the kale?

Ordo: Another nice entry: Brussels sprouts are starting to feature properly.
I thought most people didn't like them.

ChefBuba: I like that idea: It's like a cabbage caneloni (spelling?)

Petals: That looks like a soup that's good for both winter and summer time. Very nice!

#105 ·
Mise!

Great news!

Congratulations /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

(didn't see it earlier as I am answering page by page due to regular problems with my internet)

Borghut: good to see you entering as well!

Turnip greens got a lot of taste by themselves isn't it.

They remind me a bit of what they do here instead of spinach: namely cucumber leaves, stripped of their veins. Much mre spice and tasty than spinach!

Ordo: another Asian style dish that really appeals to me

K-girl: nice minestrone-free minestrone soup. Looks good.

Cheflayne: beautiful plating as always and the first kohlrabi entry. Well done

#110 ·
From the Asian dishes back to home. Beef roulades with cabbage stuffing. The players: Home smoked juniper bacon, potatoes and swiss chard fresh from the garden, home pickled cucumbers, onions, garlic, mustard cabbage, and of course, roulades, still off stage:

Fry the chopped onions, garlic, bacon and cabbage, add sour cream, mustard and the pickles, salt, pepper and fill the roulades:

Roll.

Brown, braise with bavarian beer, and serve with the chard and sauteed potato strips:

#116 ·
That looks great - I had some sort of roulade in mind for the European use of cabbage.  But for now I'm focusing on Asian.  Put some cabbage in brine last night, tonight it gets the daikon, salted shrimp and such, should be posting my entry in about a week.

mjb.

#118 ·
From the Asian dishes back to home. Beef roulades with cabbage stuffing. The players: Home smoked juniper bacon, potatoes and swiss chard fresh from the garden, home pickled cucumbers, onions, garlic, mustard cabbage, and of course, roulades, still off stage
You had me at Home smoked juniper bacon /img/vbsmilies/smilies/talker.gif In fact even before I read the text I saw it on your picture and thought it looked outstanding!

#120 ·

As for the pickles - I boil a decent white vine vinegar, add some mustard seeds, dill, black pepper, bay leaf, turbinado sugar and salt. Pour it over the cucumbers in the pickling glasses and process for 7 minutes. As for the amounts, don''t ask me - to taste...
Have you ever tried the dish with lacto-fermented pickles? If so, which do you prefer?

By the way, that bacon looks gorgeous, too!

#121 ·
Pork jowl (cheek) just went down in the sous vide cooker, I'll have a dish for ya'll in 36 hours. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif I was gonna make a tutorial on how to clean jowl, but I forgot like an idiot.
Oh yes!!! Can't wait to see it. I posted a dish for pork cheeks with potato and Brussels sprouts in the pork challenge; http://www.cheftalk.com/t/76411/challenge-july-2013-pork/120#post_434895

@Gene; love your roulade, but as a Belgian, I would have gone for frites instead of your potato strips, you know how we are.

#123 ·

Definitely nothing fancy. Cabbage salad: Chicken, ramen noodles, cabbage and dressing. Something my mom would always make for me and my siblings. Saw cabbage and thought it would be nice to enjoy something from my childhood.
Cabbage adds a lot of crunch, moisture and works well shredded in sandwiches. I picked up the practice from my sister, also in a chicken sandwich. She'd roast boneless skinless chicken thigh seasoned with old bay. Cool, then slice for pita sandwiches with ranch dressing and cabbage. Surprisingly good and simple.

#125 · (Edited)
I will think up something more original and current but in the meantime.......
You may have seen this photo before in 'galleries'. they were part of a party i catered a few weeks ago...

1) red and green cabbage, baby bok choy,broccoli,carrots,cauliflower,scallions, mint
and sushi rice spring rolls
Dipping sauces were a tamari based rosemary-ginger sauce
an 'asian'pesto(spinach,scallions, pickled ginger, basil, thai sweet chile, la-yu, garlic)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.