Challenge October 2013 - Cabbage

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by butzy, Oct 2, 2013.

1. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Oh decissions, decissions....
    I just could not make up my mind,. So many options, so many ideas !
    It is October now and this months challenge is beginning.
    Normally this is our hottest month, yet yesterday it was as cold as during mid winter. I was having dinner wearing 3 jachets!
    So, cold foods are out!
    And winter foos are in (I will probably regret this in a couple of days).

This months challenge: CABBAGE,
    Or basically everything from the brassica family,
    So give us your cabbage soup, coleslaw, brussels sprouts, sauerkraut, pickled cabbages!
    Western style, Asian style, Fusion style.
    Go wild!

Let the games begin!

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Haha I didn't see that one coming!  It's gonna be one smelly gassy month lol!  Just to be clear, are we talking brassica and cruciferous?  Is that the same family?

3. samwest61

samwest61

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love how this challenge has already heavily influenced my menu writing and its only the second of October! My first offering will be arriving on a computer screen near you in the following hours......

4. mise

mise

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    YES, good choice.

5. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Great, healthy choice! Love it. 

Sechuan chicken with cauliflower

phatch likes this.
  6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Anyone have a fool proof easy way to get cabbage leaves separated and ready to stuff?

7. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Spaghetti with cauliflower and anchovies

A classic.

Cauliflower in vapor

Olive oil (from cold), garlic, peperoncini  and anchovies

When anchovies dissolve, add the floretes and break them a little

Plate

Mamma mía! Questa è buona.

nicko likes this.
  8. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ah, I like it. With the recent cold here and the cabbages getting ready in my garden, this is perfect. I shall dig out some local Bavarian specialities....

9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Funny: I walk in the kitchen this morning, my wife was back from the grocery store and already started cooking... cabbage, potatoes, onions and sausages. Can't go wrong, and the weather today is a little grayer and cooler than yesterday, which suits the dish just well. 

10. slayertplsko

slayertplsko

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well, I blanch it, remove all the leaves that can be easily removed and then blanch it again and remove more leaves. That's it. I don't know of any better way.

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So you do it whole then? Do you cut part of the core out?

12. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I just quarter the cabbage, and with a single slanted cut on each quarter, remove each quarter's section of core. The leaves come apart on their own. 

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    But are the leaves useful this way? You can stuff them!

14. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ah I didn't realize you wanted to stuff them, sorry. I guess it would still work if the cabbage is big enough and you don't need big leaves... otherwise try cutting it in halves, and with two knife cuts, remove the core, or if the cabbage is very small, put it upside down and with four knife cuts, remove the core, then remove the leaves one by one. 

Basically, the core is what the leaves are attached to, so you need to detach them from the core somehow. 

15. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Red cabbage braised in duck fat with sherry vinegar, carrots, celery and chestnuts. 

16. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I find steaming the cabbage the easiest way to remove the leaves whole for stuffing. It's similar to the blanching method in that you'll steam, remove some leaves, steam some more, and repeat. Has the advantage that you don't have to fish it out of the water and drain it. 

17. slayertplsko

slayertplsko

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes, I blanch it whole and you're right, I do cut part of the core out, you know, that tough root. The leaves come off easily whole (except for a few that might get torn). You then need to cut off the thick central stem of each leaf as this way it will be much easier to roll them tightly. There's no need to tie them or anything, just roll tightly and stack them next to one another. You can do one to three layers this way and either simmer on the stove or bake in the oven. I prefer the latter, especially if I use my clay baker and then I go for 3-5 hours, nice and slow. And if I wait for the next day to eat, it's the ultimate comfort food.

My favourite way so far is this:

STUFFING: 1 lbs. minced meat (I prefer pork), two to three onions, two cloves of garlic, rice (soaked in hot water for 5 minutes), good-quality sweet paprika (at least 1 tbsp. or to taste), one bread roll or kaiser bun, milk, lard. Cut up and soak the bun in warm milk until it's totally soggy. Fry the onions, chopped, in lard until they start to get golden brown, add chopped garlic and let it cook a bit more, add the paprika, stir and off the heat with it. Now mix the fried onions with the meat and the soaked bun and add some rice (I can't tell you how much, but don't add to much - less is more here). You may also mix in a few chopped tomatoes (or even fry them with the onions) and also perhaps some chopped parsley and/or dill. Season well with salt and pepper.

THE REST OF IT: You'll need now some tomatoes, some green or yellow sweet and hot peppers and some nice bacon. Dice and fry the bacon, slice the vegetables. Put a layer of tomatoes and peppers at the bottom of your casserole, some bacon and a few knobs of lard (it's best to buy some fatback from your butcher, dice it and render your own - and you get cracklings too). Place the first layer of cabbage rolls. Now the second layer of vegetables and the rest of the bacon, then one more layer of cabbage rolls. Finally, you may cover this with all those torn and small and ugly cabbage leaves, a few nice knobs of lard on top of that, cover it and bake nice and slow. Adding water is to my mind not necessary as the tomatoes and peppers contain enough of it that will be rendered during the baking process. Of course, don't forget to season each layer with salt and pepper and it might also be a good idea to blanch the cabbage in salted water.

All that it needs is a couple of slices of nice rustic bread and perhaps a generous dollop of sour cream, too. But other than that, I consider it a complete meal.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    kaneohegirlinaz likes this.
  18. slayertplsko

slayertplsko

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hmmm, red cabbage with vinegar, yummy! And roast duck and lokše smeared with that lovely duck fat that remains. Must have it, soon, very soon, must have it!

19. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Cauliflower soup with Madras curry and chicken satés

An older picture taken in march 2011. Soup; cauliflower, onion, potato, Madras curry powder, chicken stock. Saté; panfried strips of chicken breast, fresh tarragon.

phatch likes this.
  20. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Baja fish tacos, beer battered cod, simple cabbage slaw with red onion dressed with mayo, orange juice, AC vinegar, sugar.
    Fire roasted salsa on top.