Challenge June 2013 - Pasta !

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by petalsandcoco, Jun 1, 2013.

1. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Thank you GeneMachine for passing the torch.  The Offal challenge was met with great success by everyone. I gave this new challenge some thought and hope that this new challenge would be met with interest.

Challenge for June ,  Pasta !

Yes Pasta, made your way.  With spring almost gone and a step into summer , there is nothing more enjoyable than a pasta dish be it hot or cold. Any type is welcome, any  color and all techniques . Whether your presentation is  funny or serious , just enjoy creating it.

Fresh or boxed pasta are  accepted as well as any accompanying ingredients.

"So now ChefTalk members , with an open heart and an empty stomach, I say unto you in the words of my uncle: 'Allez cuisine! “

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool....
    That's amore !

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  2. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ohh, yeah. I like this. Thanks for taking over, petals! I think, this time it's gonna be me to present multiple entries here...

Just for clarification - are we talking Italian pasta in particular or is it meant to extend to noodle dishes all over the world?

3. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Oh yes, all over the world /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like this oodles of noodles challenge.

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This might be the impetus to get me making fresh pasta.

mjb.

6. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    OH YUS IM THE FIRST TO MAKE THE FIRST PASTA DISH XDDD

SO HERE IT IS...

I made a fresh homemade penne , with fried eggplant strips , fresh sugo , with basil and parmesian cheese. 

The eggplant was fried first. The sugo was homeade with a quick mirepoix , tomatoes , and some pumpkin was also used to get a nice rich color. I had first let the basil cook a bit in the sugo before adding the fresh penne and then the eggplant. The cheese was just to top it off. 

Also having a sucky cellphone camera isnt all that great , so the colors dont look as cool as in real life. But it was delicious. 

The head chef at the restaurante i work at is also my mentor. She lived quite a few years in Italy so im glad she passed along her tips (especially when it comes to pasta making).

Def gonna be my favorite challenge after all XD 

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  7. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How did you get the diagonal cuts on the ends of the penne-rigate? 

All of my home-made attempts have semi-squared off ends... as it's cut when being extruded?

Should I just make long tubes and cut on a board?

It's probably obvious but i'm not seeing it.

:(

8. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Great job KaiqueKuisine, it is a lovely looking dish and your penne ' rigate ' (type)  looks absolutely perfect ( I can't make it like that ) with the homemade sugo .  Well done ! I am sure it tasted great. Should you decide to enter more dishes, please feel free. You have officially kicked off the thread  ./img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

@ MJB: We are looking forward to your dish and can't wait to see what you have in store.

9. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Just saw your post Michael, same thought. There is something for me to learn here.

10. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Oh... and by the way - I should have said that dish looks great!

I was just in awe of the pasta precision and I forgot to mention it.

I'll try even harder to get into this challenge but lately all i've been cooking is cold Farm-Boy (a canadian grocery store - kinda like Whole Foods) salads as work has been a real pita... and the weather is stupid.   Thunderstorms - Heat - Humidity - Repeat

Here is a good - inspirational video of the "you-can-do-it" kind - a few minor mistakes (technique & explanation) but overall a decent job of showing how it's done.

Hope the accent doesn't bother you!

Good Luck and Happy Cooking!

11. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    LOL trust me they are not that perfect , you just have to be extremely OCD to stay there for like an hour attempting to make them look semi perfect XD. 

I once attempted rolling the pasta around a cylinder and cutting the edges around the cylinder to get cleaner cuts ( obviously doing them one by one ) , but thats just because i was bored , dont attempt it if you want a pasta dish in under 40 minutes and your famished lololol. 

ALSO i use a rolling pin , because i lack a pasta roller at home ( tradition italian pasta makers use alot of pins ) , it was actually pretty fun and tiresome at the same time. 

BUT... since im usually responsible for at least 1 homeade pasta dish at the restaurant im working at lets see if i can make anything great tomx. If not i guess ill use idustrialized pasta instead (even tho i would secretly hate it). 

12. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    He lost  abit of credibility to me when he used the food processor. 

I would have loved to see him explain why adding eggs then flour , instead of flour then eggs would have sucha  huge difference. 

He used the word silky like 3 times XD

But that blue apron of his just made my heart throb.... 

13. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Jamie Oliver also did the food processor thing in one of his shows. While I like this kind of videos for showing how simple it can be, I still prefer the slow method. Knead for at least 10 minutes, let it rest for an hour. Might just be my imagination, but I think it improves the texture.

Also, KaiqueKuisine - nice way to start off the challenge! I have a roller at home, but no extruder, so my home-made pasta is usually lasagne or tagliatelle, or if I feel like work, something pin-rolled and hand-shaped like orechiette. I think I need more tools... ;)

14. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    So I guess im will go back to back this time.

GeneMachine inspired me to post this one 

So here is is homemade tagliatelle with a fresh ragu. Pretty simple but it was nice ( al dente ) and lovely.

Again a sucky cellphone camera is a no go on picture taking XD .

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  15. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A quick dinner tonight, nothing special.  Some fried rice and frozen potstickers.  You know, those little balls of meat and such wrapped in a pasta like shell and ....  hmmm.

mjb.

16. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I made some simple fried noodles

ingredients: tomato, bacon, yellow paprika (top, left to right)

garlic/madame jeanette mixture, birds eye chili, cilantro stems, lemon grass and leek (bottom, more or less left to right)

I made a paste of the chili's garlic, cilantro stems and lemon grass

Then fried the paste, added the other ingredients and the rice noodles (that had been soaked in water for half an hour or so)

I ate it with a fried egg on top, but I have no picture of the finished product. I was too hungry !!!

The Madame Jeannette chili is a very fragrant and very hot chili and is also know as Surinam Yellow and looks like a Scotch Bonnet, but I think they are different chili's.

17. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello there Butzy! Using Madame Jeannette? Allow me to quote the immortal words of the famous miss Paris Hilton; ...that's hot...

Your dish sounds very tasty. I never worked with rice noodles but I'm going to, thanks for the inspiration!

18. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
  19. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    @ KaiqueKuisine : Glad to see that GM inspired such a great dish. You have spot on technique. Your phone is working fine. If you tap on the picture the frame will enlarge and we get a closer look at your work. Well Done ! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

@ mjb : potstickers count, where is the pic ? Are you teasing us ?

@ Butzy : I wholeheartedly agree with Chris,  that dish looks incredibly good , with  an egg on top ? You rock .  BTW thanks for posting your mise. Don't be shy to post more dishes, June has just started . /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found an article with some info and questions and thought I would post it :

Hello Mr. Hoseney,

I'm a culinary student, and we've been studying pastry. I've read McGee's book on Food and Science, and I've hounded my professors, but I still don't understand about gluten. Specifically this:

1) When you're kneading, the dough becomes tougher the more you handle the dough. Before baking it, you need to let it "relax," to keep the dough from going "short" (which means shrinking?). If the gluten's protein strands straighten out during the kneading process, wouldn't they become MORE relaxed from kneading, not less? Wouldn't they tighten up more when you STOPPED kneading? It's counterintuitive.

2) High protein flour is used for bread and other doughs, like pasta dough, that need to be stiffer. Still don't get it. What is the relationship between the gluten content and how the dough rises or handles? (Leads to question #3.)

3) If the higher the gluten content, the tougher the flour, then why do you use high gluten flour when you need the product to rise more? I thought the yeast is what affects how much the bread rises. Why is the amount of air incorporated into the product effected by the gluten content of the flour?

I don't understand the connections. Is there a simple way to explain it to a layperson? Thank you for any clues you can provide!

Lucy,
    You have a good set of questions. I am not sure I can answer them all here. You may want to obtain a copy of my book "Principle of Cereal Science and Technology" published by the American Association of Cereal Chemists in St. Paul.
    When you develop gluten or dough you are causing the gluten strands (bundles of molecules) to interact with each other. The interaction of entanglement causes the dough to become stronger. With time the entanglements become less and the dough relaxes. Question 3, the higher amount of gluten is needed as it relates the the thickness of the gluten that surrounds the starch and air cells in the dough. If the thichness of the cell wall becomes to thin the dough become too hard to expand (it is a phenomena called strain hardening). I hope you find the above helpful

Carl Hoseney

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Food-Science-1425/Gluten-its-action-dough.htm  Food for thought. Any comments are welcome

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  20. slayertplsko

slayertplsko

Exp:
    At home cook
    I was too busy in May to take part in the challenge, but pasta? I hope I will be able to take part this time! One technical question though - do things like gnocchi count? Or things like pierogi/pelmeni? I'm keen on Italian pasta dishes, but I was thinking we could enrich the challenge with dishes that, while made of flour, do not exactly resemble noodles.

Also, will we have wild mushrooms as a challenge sometime? Could be nice.