Chai

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by svadhisthana, May 10, 2001.

1. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

I love chai, and I have several recipes but I'm always looking for more. The local coffee place that makes the best chai uses a mix and the final product is creamy but low in fat. The recipes I have, that are just as creamy, require sweetended condensed milk which makes it rather high in fat. I have tried the low fat/ fat free versions of cond. milk at the stores but they add a strange too sweet taste to it. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    Svadhisthana :D

2. monpetitchoux

monpetitchoux

Make your base really strong. Sweeten as you like and then use evaporated milk. I know it's not low in fat but it's delicious. It's the way a someone from Bangladesh had made it for me once.

3. kimmie

kimmie

Hi Svadhisthana,

Just for you.

Masala Chai
    (Spiced Tea)
    (serves 2)

1 pint water
    A 1 inch stick of cinnamon
    8 cardamom pods
    8 whole cloves
    6 fl. oz milk
    6 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
    3 teaspoons any unperfumed, loose black tea

Put the water in a saucepan. Add the cinnamon, cardammon, and cloves and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the milk and sugar and bring to a simmer again. Throw in the tea leaves, cover, and turn off the heat. After 2 minutes, strain the tea into two cups and serve immediately.
    :rolleyes:

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have seen evaporated skim milk in the store. Can you find it where you live? It was either Carnation or Pet brand. Try this link: http://www.odie.org/chai/recipes.html for chai recipes. I typed 'chai recipes' in Google.com, and got lots of listings.

5. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Thank you guys!

Svadhisthana

6. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor