Chai

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Nov 26, 2001.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I tried making chai today....been 8 years since I've made it with my Indian neighbor....I've not got it down right....what do you put in yours?

black tea
    water
    milk
    sugar
    cinnamon
    cardomom
    cayenne
    (I'm not a bie clove fan)

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroom,
    It's been some time since I made Chai
    But as I remember I used
    Fennel or anise seeds about a tablespoon
    6 green cardoman pods
    12 cloves (I know you don't like them )
    a little sliced ginger root
    a few black pepper corns
    a couple bay leaves
    6 or 7 cups of water
    Boil for five minutes,then steep for 10 minutes

Then add 2 tablespoons darjeeling tea and boil then simmer for 5 minutes
    then add 6 tablespoons honey or brown suger and a cup of milk

Shroom, If you don't like cloves perhapes a touch of allspice or mace?
    cc

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Penzey's just came to Town!!!!!I've loaded up...vanilla beans for alittle over $2.....plump ones....I added 2" or so to the brew....black pepper instead of red?....I'll try the combo, I think the bay will be a great addition, as will the ginger....hmmmm

4. kimmie

kimmie

(Spiced Tea)
    (serves 2)

1 pint water
    A 1 inch stick of cinnamon
    8 cardamom pods
    8 whole cloves
    6 fl. oz milk
    6 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
    3 teaspoons any unperfumed, loose black tea

Put the water in a saucepan. Add the cinnamon, cardammon, and cloves and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the milk and sugar and bring to a simmer again. Throw in the tea leaves, cover, and turn off the heat. After 2 minutes, strain the tea into two cups and serve immediately.

:lips:

5. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

This is my favorite beverage-I'm always changing the recipe though. Here is a rough list of what goes into mine:
    Cardamom (the green pods)
    Cinnamon sticks
    Nutmeg
    Pink Peppercorns
    Ginger (freshly sliced)
    Cloves
    A Bay leaf
    Fennel seeds
    A Vanilla Bean(split and scraped)
    Black Peppercorns
    Sweetened condensed milk
    Evaporated milk
    Honey
    Black Tea
    Green Tea

I don't add all of these when making chai, obviously-chai made with sweetened condensed milk, and honey would be cloying. It's fun to play around with flavors and come up with unique brews. I even have a recipe around here someplace that calls for cumin.....

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I really like more milk in my tea....a thicker version than what I'd been making, fresh ginger was great, though I like red pepper kick....now that the weather is behaving Fall/Winterish...I'll be perfecting chai.....

7. shimmer

shimmer

Mmm... gotta love Chai. I make it by buying it in a box at a natural foods store and mixing it with soy milk.

=)

~~Shimmer~~

(My favorite commercial kind is Chai Amore)

8. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I just sampled "Big Train" brand Chai. Powder, add water. not to bad. not too spicy and a lot too sweet.
    I used to get Yogi tea, it was Chai in vanilla, spice and green.
    ahh, those were the days.........

9. garlicginger

garlicginger

My doctor has me on a decaf diet and I have to be very careful about coffee and tea. I start with Trader Joe's decaf chai mix, then add whatever I feel like that day. Always an adventure!

10. slavegirl

slavegirl

The best store bought chai I have ever had comes from Nub Chai. Easily.

You can buy their concentrates online. They've been a sort of underground favorite in the Bay Area for awhile, showing up at early-era dot com parties and the like. Far as I know they are stll going strong and elarging their offerings. You can also by their packs of spices and brew your own.
    It's all organic, too.

They do retail and wholesale. Can you tell I just love them?

What nailed it for me though, was a night at Burningman in their tent out on the playa. They offered free nub chai the whole week long, it was a true oasis in the desert, down to the artistic fountain they somehow created out there in the middle of nowhere in the center of the tent. We sat around at 2 am on pillows drinking warm chai and sucking on sweet orange slices...oooh my oh my.

website for nub chai:
    http://www.nub.com/nub_main.html
    ----------------------------------------------
    SlaveGirl
    http://www.restaurantslave.com

11. garlicginger

garlicginger

Their web site is still up and going strong. However, tried to purchase some tea - got message " This cart has been disabled." I don't know how to deal with handicapped carts, so I left a message and scrammed out of there.

12. slavegirl

slavegirl

abandoned shopping carts! I run away too,when things go wrong. I suppose you could always call them and order. It's really fabulous stuff.

SlaveGirl
    http://www.restaurantslave.com

13. palmier

palmier

Anyone have an opinion about chai from coffee shops. These are all interesting ideas. I never thought of making my own chai. However, I can only compare them to the few I have tasted at the big coffee chains

14. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Starbucks is wayyyyy to sweet for me. There is an Indian restaurant down the road that has incredible Chai and Naan, rest is mediocre.
    I've got it down to all milk 2% no water...brought to a simmer with fresh ginger, cardomom, sugar, black pepper corns, a hit of red pepper, cinnamon stick, bay leaf occasionally, black tea leaves...no anise, fennel or cloves. I let it steep then strain.
    Still working on it.

15. shimmer

shimmer

For whatever reason, I enjoy Chai so much more when its made with soy milk. It adds a different dimension to the spices somehow, and I won't get it at coffee shops with regular milk.

~~Shimmer~~

16. palmier

palmier

I have a friend who is a food chemist (makes flavorings for big corporations) While at his work yesterday, we made chai according to capechefs recipe. Then we tried variations of Svadhisthina's. Both were very spicy, the second one was sweet. We then tried one of our own. A mixture of ideas from everybody sans cayanne. We both liked the black & green tea version with soy. Soy added a nutty finish that went well with the spicinesss.

After a couple of hours just playing (I know...too much time on our hands) many of my friends co workers walked in because of the odor. We were now making double and triple batches. The generan concenses was a preference for a slightly less kick (fewer peppercorns / cayanne),less sweet with soy drink. One gal tried a teaspoon of praline paste in hers. I thought is was great

17. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    So are you adding water to the soymilk...and are you using reg or vanilla soy (brand?). wonderful with crisp oatmeal cookies for dunking...If I haven't got a stock of homemade I go for HobNobs...
    About 3:30-4 in the afternoon Chai hits the spot.

18. shimmer

shimmer

HobNobs were first discovered by yours truly on a college trip to England and Scotland. I have found them in very few places in the United States, but there is nothing like it! And of course, Shroomgirl, you would know about them. Someday I will sell them in my international tea house.....

I believe I have used both vanilla soy milk and regular, although soy "drink" isn't the same quality. I don't water it down. And in the summer, iced chai is also grand. Vanilla soy milk makes it sweeter, so if you want it less sweet, use plain.

It's approaching the afternoon, and you're right. Chai does sound lovely.....

~~Shimmer~~

19. risa

risa

Most Canadian supermarkets have HobNobs, or at least they used to, so both of you can stock up when you go to the reunion next June! With the currency exchange, you'll probably get over 40% off.

20. garlicginger

garlicginger

What are HobNobs?