Ceviche

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cape chef, Oct 13, 2002.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I want to do a ceviche bar for a holiday party i'm hosting.

What are some of your favorite preparations?

I think I have some pretty good one's to start with but any input would be great :)
    as always
    Thanks
    cc

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    One of my favorites CC, is a very simple version, requiring only 6 ingredients. I am not giving any amounts, because this recipe really relies on personal preference.

Take some of the freshest dry-packed scallops you can get your hands on. Cut them into a nice small dice. To this add finely minced, seeded habaneros, and fresh squeezed lime juice. Allow to marinate for at least 45 minutes. Then add finely diced mango, just a hint of cilantro (easy on it or it will overpower), and season with salt.

kylibug likes this.
  3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks Pete,
    That's one of my favorite ways to make ceviche.

Simple and tasty,

I'm doing a sea scallop and red grapefruit one,also a bay scallop with charred tomatillas.

I'm going to make a hamachi ceviche with citrus dressing and a trio of peppers,
    A friend of mine gave me his recipe for grilled baby octopus ceviche with tomato,cucumbers and olives that look fantastic.

Lobster and vanilla ceviche with cara cara oranges and a champange gratin.

I would also like to make some fun crunchy thingys to use to scoop up the ceviche like fried plantian or yucca! any ideas?
    Thanks

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Looks like you've got the bases VERY well covered in terms of the ceviche recipes!
    What about some slices of raw jicama? Crunch, sweetness, a perfect contrast to the acid and spice. And almost no work ;)

Or big chips of toasted coconut? :lips: :lips:

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dear Suzanne,

How do you make these toasted coconut chips?

I think it would go great with the rock shrimp and mango ceviche

6. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I had a rock shrimp, mango, cilantro and peanut ceviche that was very tasty. It was done in lime with a little lemon. Light on the hot peppers. Served with yam and sweet potato chips.

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's great Peachcreek...Thank you for the idea.

The recipe I'm doing doesn't have peanuts,but I thought tasajo as a counterpoint to the flavor of the shrimp would work well,and the salt of it works well with the mango.

Stupid question!!! what's the difference between yams and sweet potatoes ;)

8. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Make a trip to our favorite TexMex restaurant frequently to dine on their ceviche only. Octopus,scallops,shrimp,shark, same base but equal parts(in taste) cilantro and roasted garlic. Served with regular homemade chips and bolillo, sliced paper thin coated with some sort of coconut (as far as I can tell)and grilled. A few mango margaritas to equalize the habenaro.
    Haven't got a recipe in three yrs. Not a secret, I always forget after the margaritas! I do know that the preboiling process for the octtopus is done by the mom and involves epizota and jicama(I think)Very,very,very tender. I know the lime cooks it but I also know they parboil

9. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Margaritas!!!!!

Did you say...Margaritas?

That's it Panini.....Ceviche ala Margaritas.
    Lime, orange and the wondeful world of agave :)

We have to get together Panini!!!:bounce:

10. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have done the Margarita Ceviche thing before, and it is wonderful. I used supremes of orange, lemon and lime along with shrimp, jalapeno, a little tomato for color and a shot of tequila!! Plantain chips work great for dipping. I usually slice them lengthwise. It gives some visual contrast to the usual round or triangle tortillas. Though not truely a ceviche (the plantains reminded me of this) I used to make a Jerked Crab Salad and serve it on the Plantains.

11. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Toasted coconut chips: whack open a couple of coconuts. Pry out the meat. Remove the brown skin by whatever means you can. Use a vegetable peeler to peel off thin strips of flesh. Place on a baking sheet, and bake until golden. Let cool; put away in an airtight container.

What, you want more details? YOU???? :D

12. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I was having dinner with my wife tonight and mentioned your question about the difference between yams and sweet potatoes. When I asked her to describe what she thought the difference was she replied' " Don't you cook yams with marshmallows?'. I love that gal!

13. tigerwoman

tigerwoman

What about fried shrimp chips - those translucent discs that fry up puffy from Southeast Asia. You can get in any big Asian Market. You can fry a few days ahead of time and store in airtight container. They are crunchy and pretty in all those pastel colors. They would get soggy after a while if you put the cerviche on top of them but would work as a scoop perfectly.

They are also called Krupek in Indonesia.

14. catciao

catciao

Thought I would search "ceviche" before asking for ideas and lo and behold here's my answer. I just made some ceviche today and it was awesome. I used small Bay Scallops chopped, minced garlic, minced ginger, minced habenaro, hot sauce, honey, lemon juice, blood orange juice (probably could use lime here but I didn't have it), lemon peel, tequila and chopped cilantro. Let sit then did a 4-layer stack with cubed avocado and a sprinkle on top of course sea salt then drizzled the marinade around the stack.

I want to try this also with backfin crab or lobster.

Any other ideas or serving suggestions?

15. chef1x

chef1x

All I can say is:

Love the above,

Plantain Chips,

Papadam crisps, in a variety of flavors,

make a great vessel for ceviches.

I was in a great little restaurant in Miami recently and had some very adventurous ceviche like conch, sea bass, etc. they were served with the above and beyond. Banana leaves, yucca chips,toasted seaweed. All yum!!

16. catciao

catciao

What's a Papadam crisp? And, does conch get more tender in ceviche? I just had a bunch of conch in the Bahamas and they're very chewy.

17. chef1x

chef1x

Papadam, you know, the Indian flat bread that they give out for free in Indian restaurants. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but made from chickpea flour and often seasoned with some crazy spice, but usually just pepper.
    They usually come in large 8"-10" rounds, a dozen or so to the package, but I used to find these little 1" rounds, fry them up and use them for H'ors. I would put a cevice like concoction on them and people loved them. I also would fry the big rounds up, break them up into asymetrical pieces and stick them into mounds of salmon or tuna. Oh, I just found this thread on the fabulous CT search engine:
    tartar.http://cheftalkcafe.com/forums/showt...hlight=papadam

As for the Conch, I don't think most people know what to do with it, including myself. The few times I used it, it always came frozen, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, and I would make conch fritters. As for cevice goes, whenver I've had it, it usually is quite chewy. I liken it to something like octopus, it takes a little bit of practice to get right. However they did it at Tambo in Miami, I don't know, but it was sublime, me and my GF thought it was octopus very nicely done, but it wasn't chewy at all.:lips:

18. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Martha's Wedding mag has a great looking ceviche buffet...really pretty.