cereal

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by momoreg, Dec 4, 2000.

1. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    You may all think this is crzy, but I've always been amazed by cereal. First, there are so many ways that simple grains can be manipulated, and then, there are things like rice krispies, which are completely different from puffed rice, and I have no clue what the difference is. Then, you have shredded wheat. How the heck to they get wheat into that shape??? I could go on and on... What about Krispix, which is one color on one side, and darker on the other--each side a convex grid.

I've always wated to take a tour of a cereal factory. Has anyone done this?

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    No but when my 18 year old was in 2nd grade he wanted to know how to make butterfingers...NOTHING was easy with this child....we explored but never had a satisfactory response.

3. isa

isa

What I wonder about cereal is why are they so expensive???

My favourites these days Corn Puffs. Don't know why. I really like Cranberry Almonds too. And oatmeal, cold and uncook.

4. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    one word:

quisp

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    We can't have sugar cereal in our home because of allergies....but I fondly remember quisp and am glad to see it again on the shelves...

6. isa

isa

When I was a kid, my parents didn't allow sweet cereal and soda, except for Chrsitmas Easter and on our birthday. It was always a treat when we had Corn Pops or Capitaine Crunch. As for soda none of the kids, three of us, ever got a taste for it. We all prefered milk, and still do.

7. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Never toured a cereal factory, did tour the local Highland Milk factory in grade school.

Anyone remember Quisp?

8. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Quisp was great. Right up there with Kaboom. Flutie Flakes I've never heard of.

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I like mixing cereals...raisin bran, chex, kix, total mix...floaters,bran, things that stay crispy....
    Hot malt o meal, grits (counts) cheese grits count more, Kashi, Oatmeal (coarse grind) with cranberries, walnuts, brown sugar or sourghum.....yummmmm what a way to start a cold AM

10. layjo

layjo

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Honey Nut Cheerios, Applejacks, Crispy Wheat N raisin, Corn Bran, and Granola with milk. As for hot cerals Cream of Wheat and Oatmeal. Anyone eat Cream of Rice?

11. katherine

katherine

We're not into cold cereal here. Sometimes I cook rolled oats, grits, semolina, or cornmeal thick, and serve it with melted cheese. Or I cook it in milk and skip the cheese.

Another thing we like is raw brown rice or whole oat groats, toasted until golden in a heavy pan, soaked overnight and boiled in the morning. It makes a nice fluffy breakfast pilaf.

Hot cereal really warms you up on a cold morning!

12. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Re: touring cereal factory

Tougher than you might think. Here in Buffalo they have a General Mills plant that makes somethingm like 25 percent of the world's supply of Cheerios and Cocoa Puffs.

Fascinating: how do you turn freighters full of grain into those little nodules.

I tried to get in for a tour, for weeks. Couldn't do it. Corporate headquarters were called. Trade secrets were cited.

When the comforting toasty chocolatey smell of Cocoa Puffs wafts over the Buffalo waterfront I sometimes stare at the walls of the GM plant and feel a little like Charlie staring at Willy Wonka's mysterious plant...

13. nutcakes

nutcakes

I hate my kid to go off in the morning on just cold cereal. I also hate how much they cost. The only cereal I like is Life. We have a rule that she has to pick a cereal with 10 grams or less of sugar, except for rare occasion.

She will eat Cream of Wheat if I make it, but won't do it herself. She says she does not like Oatmeal, but tried the instant somewhere and liked it. I think the sugar content is too high, but I would like to try to make something more palatable at home. I hate oatmeal myself, so it's hard to push it. Someone told me that they had Oatmeal Creme Brulee, the second time I have heard that lately. Kinda with a custard sauce and run under the broiler. Anyone heard of that?