Ceramic coated pans?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by jawnn, Aug 17, 2017.

1. jawnn

jawnn

Exp:
    Maniacal student
    When the PTFE layer comes off, will the ceramic part still be in good condition?
    Are there any NSF Certified ceramic pans without nonstick?

I had a cheap nonstick wok once and after most of the PTFE came off the pan was pitted, like it had been that way before the application of the nonstick coating.

I found a thread that tells how smoothness is the main thing that keep eggs from sticking. My old steel pan has pits and dings, but I was able to make it work for a while. Then I started having problems, so I am starting the seasoning process over again. But I am still unable to fill the pits.

So now I am thinking it would be nice to have a ceramic coated pan without the PTFE, or at least one with out the PFOA carcinogenic material they used to adhere the PTFE.

Does steel expand more than aluminum? If so that would be the reason they don't put the ceramic on steel....??

I also was researching what oil is best for seasoning. Some say flax seed oil because of the omega3 content, others say high heat oil like grape seed oil that has very little omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. If I want high heat and a good amount of omega 3. soybean oil would be best.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. jawnn

jawnn

Exp:
    Maniacal student
    The high heat oil recommendations were wrong!!!

Oil high in omega-3 fatty acids – in particular, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Free radicals are actually what enable the polymerization. Flax seed oil has the lowest smoking temperature oil I have seen listed but it is highest in omega-3 fatty acids (57% ALA).

The polymerization process is initiated when something causes the release of free radicals in the oil. So the higher the free fatty acid content in the oil to begin with, the quicker it will break down and start polymerization. This is exactly what you want to season a pan.

If ceramic non stick pans are silicone mixed with baked on enamel. How long will the nonstick quality last?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  3. harrisonh

harrisonh

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Treat ceramic pans and teflins pans as disposable.

Steel has less thermal expansion than aluminium. The reason ceramic is rare on steel is not expansion, it's the demographics of the buyer.

4. jawnn

jawnn

Exp:
    Maniacal student
    I have discovered that there are ceramic coated pans that can actually take a licking and keep on.....leting it go, even diamond coated pans....

5. harrisonh

harrisonh

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    GREAT another multi level marketing troll

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I don't see it. Do you know this person to be selling something?

7. jawnn

jawnn

Exp:
    Maniacal student
    I am not trying to sell anything. only trolls try to stop me fromn asking questions.

What I need is a copper clad interior stanless steel pan. But is thare a way to make that non stick, old school method. I have not tryed to smoke oil on to copper. Does it hold the coating better than steel?

8. jawnn

jawnn

Exp:
    Maniacal student
    Have you used any of the ceramic pans that claim to be scratch proof? Just wonder if they are worth the disposable price.