celery definations

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cinabun, Jan 16, 2004.

1. cinabun

cinabun

OK How do you define the amount of celery. Stalks, blades,ribs?

Bulbs and cloves of garlic are no problem, but I have had recipes define celery differently, and sometimes it is confusing. I usually let common sense rule, but I wondered if there are defining terms.

Thanks

2. katew

katew

I think stalks, blades and ribs all refer to the individual pieces of celery.

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Celery: 1/4 of total weight of mirepoix.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    :eek: :D

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    The whole thing is a head of celery, unless the end with the leaves has been chopped off, in which case it is a celery heart. The individual pieces are either ribs or stalks. Thinking in the same terms as garlic:
    Garlic --------- Celery
    bulb ----------- head
    clove ---------- rib or stalk

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Wow, Suzanne. I'll bet you cleaned house on the Miller Analogies test! :eek:

7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What I've read disputes what Suzanne said. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find the source.

The stalk of celery is the whole thing, as it all grows as one from one spot.

A rib is the individual strand from the stalk.

Epicurious' dictionary supports this; notice the last sentence of this quote:

Phil

8. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Phil, thats very possible. I posted what I use, and what I teach the people I work with. Could be wrong, but at least we're all wrong together and are all speaking the same language. :D

9. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Oh, I agree.

I see stalk used in recipes all the time when you obviously don't want that much celery in the dish.

Phil

10. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    To confuse matters even more, I usually refer to a "head" of celery as a "bunch" of celery.

11. cinabun

cinabun

sheesh, how confusing. LIke I said, I usually let common sense prevail, but it would seem that blade and rib would be the individual pieces, and I could see that stalk could be the whole thing, even though I always thought of 'bunch' as the whole thing.

12. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I wonder how much of the confusion comes from regional differences in nomenclature?

Anyway, whatever makes sense -- I mean, if you're making a dish for 4 people and the recipe calls for 2 stalks of celery, you can figure out which it means.

13. cinabun

cinabun

That's true suzanne, I do figure it out, I just wondered if there were 'standard' labels. Thanks guys!

14. katew

katew

Upon further research, the Food Lover's Companion (3rd edition) makes it sound like the individual things are called ribs, surrounding the heart, and what holds it all together I guess is called the stalk, ie "leave the ribs attached to the stalk until ready to use". It also says "celery grows in bunches" so I guess Pete is right about that.

15. chef from va

chef from va

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    in my years of culinary experience a stalk is what is connected to the heart what some call a rib. wow that doesnt help at all does it :confused: oh well i guess what suzanne said is right at least we are all speaking the same language.

16. scott123

scott123

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I came across two online encyclopedias that refer to the whole head of celery as a "stalk":

http://www.foodsubs.com/Stalk.html
    http://www.whatscookingcanada.com/rw...256c28001028eb!OpenDocument

But like the previous authors, I do see stalk being used in recipes refering to a single rib.

Since there is so much confusion surrounding the word stalk, you might want to avoid using it in your own recipes and use rib instead. Head, bunch, and rib seem to always mean the same thing whereas stalk can get confusing.

Not to be too nitpicky but... a celery heart technically should also have the outer ribs removed.