Celery - an antiinflammatory?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pastachef, Jun 23, 2001.

1. pastachef

pastachef

I read in a magazine today that four stalks of celery a day works on the body as an antiinflammatory medication. Does anyone else know anything about this?

2. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

I don't know about celery, but I have heard that eating spicy food is "read" by your body as pain and causes the brain to release natural painkillers. hmmmmmm, interesting....

3. risa

risa

One thing I know about celery is that it's supposed to help with glaucoma. My dad eats celery on a daily basis for this reason alone.

4. pastachef

pastachef

LOL, Linda. Your mom sounds like me...but after I finish catching up on the boards I'm going right back out there in that glorious sunshine anyway :) I re-read the article (because antiinflammatories upset my stomach and break my mouth out in blisters) and it said that there are more than 12 chemicals in celery that act as antiinflammatories. I thought it was very interesting. I'd like to hear what Kokopuffs thinks too :)

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Well, I never claimed to know everything and celery is one of them. I'm totally unaware of its anti-inflamatory properties. I do use herbs, however.

The one herb text that I strongly recommend is THE SCIENTIFIC VALIDATION OF HERBAL MEDECINE by Mowry. It costs about $17.00. Most other herbals I've seen claim that every herb does everything. No way. Mowry's book, OTOH, recommends 3 or 4 herbs for specific maladies. His recommendations are supported by scientific research. No anecdotes here. His recommendations have worked for me.

Back to anti-inflammatories. Immediately following an injury, the application of ice will reduce inflammation and accelerate healing. For most typical injuries (sprained ankles, abraisions, bruises, arthritic joints) I apply ice (a package of frozen veggies will work) to the affected area for 15 minutes every hour for the next 48 hours. Then alternate ice with moist heat. :eek: :eek: :eek:

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: kokopuffs ]

6. pastachef

pastachef

Thank you so much, Kokopuffs, for sharing your medical expertise with us. My particular problems are not caused by injuries, but it's nice to know these things. Especially with grandkids running around. I guess I was hoping for an easy and readily available miracle :)

7. linda smith

linda smith

I don't know the answer to that one but my mother tells me that celery develops carcinogenic properties as it begins to decay. Then again, my mother tells me that everything causes cancer!

8. pastachef

pastachef

LOL! - Cabal, So I guess it's all about mind over matter. I agree. Now, if I could just find someone who can trick MY mind. :D :D :D

9. isa

isa

From Food That Harm Food That Heal

Celery

Benefits: low in calories and high in fiber, a good source of potassium, may reduce inflammation and protect against cancer.

Drawbacks: High in plants nitrates.

Medicinal Properties

Traditionally herbalists have advocated fresh celery seed tea to treat gout and other forms of inflammatory arthritis, as well as high blood pressure and edema. Polyacetylene, compounds found in celery are said to reduce production o certain protaglandins, body chemicals that are instrumental in producing inflammation. There is however no proof, however, that celery actually eases arthritis pain. Nor is there any proof that celery lowers blood pressure and increase urination.

Celery may help reduce the risk of certain cancers. The polyacetylenes in celery destroys benzopyrene, a powerful substance that causes cancer. This benefit may be partially offset by celery’s high levels of plant nitrates, substances that the body converts into nitrosamines, which are linked to an increase risk of cancer. However, many researchers believe that this is a minor risk because most plants high in nitrates and other potentially cancer-causing substances also contain chemicals that neutralize any harmful effects. Cooking celery by boiling, braising or steaming lowers nitrate levels.

10. pastachef

pastachef

Thank you, Iza. There is a lot of good info there :)

11. meg wylie

meg wylie

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I found an antiinflamatory cocktail using Celery, Cucumber and Pineapple juice, One stalk Celery half a Cucumber and top off with pineapple juice then blend or mix in a magic bullet drink and enjoy full of anti inflamatory properties!

12. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Really? that's kinda cool. I love spicy food too.