Catering legally in Arizona

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by cinsunnyaz, Jun 27, 2019.

1. cinsunnyaz

cinsunnyaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Server, Chef/Catering CompanyOwner
    Hello,
    I've been in catering (worked for other companies as well as on my own) for over 11 yrs.
    I've done all the legwork to find out what I need to get legit in AZ however; I'm having a heck of a time locating a commercial kitchen to cook out of.
    I have a chef friend who claims to have their licence and cooking out of "their own" kitchen. They primarily use social media to market, they have pets and I've not seen a health dept grade sheet posted in the front window as is required.
    I use the platform "Thumbtack" to acquire all my business currently but their rates to quote are astronomical now which is leading me to want to open a Facebook business account.
    I am not on social media other than Pinterest & LinkedIn.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
    Hungry for more business!

2. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Each state is different in terms of their licensing requirements, especially when a home kitchen is involved. However, when it comes to preparing food in a home kitchen, most states "cottage laws" generally allow certain foods intended for commercial sale to be produced at home such as foods that are not meat or poultry based, including those foods that use eggs etc.

It is very unlikely that your friend is operating a catering business legally out of their home kitchen.

Unless you find a properly licensed kitchen to operate your business, advertising and marketing becomes rather academic. Sometimes churches will have a small licensed kitchen that you can rent. Likewise, private clubs like an Elks Club or VF.W. may have a licensed kitchen to rent.

Good luck. :)

3. cinsunnyaz

cinsunnyaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Server, Chef/Catering CompanyOwner
    Hi Virgil,
    I agree in regards to my friend not actually being licensed.
    I physically went to get the application, asked all the necessary questions and I know what is required before getting considered for approval.
    Guess I just needed some validation.
    Thank you for the tips about the private clubs, extremely helpful
    I have reached out via email to a few churches in the area which I may also visit in person.
    Thank you again!

PS: Very nice to hear you are enjoying retirement