Catering for a NYE Charity Event

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by chefalice, Nov 25, 2009.

1. chefalice

chefalice

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Thanks for your reply. You have been very nice in taking your time to assist. Food will be passed about 3.5 hours. On arrival, the sations will be all set up. Soon after the room is almost filled, the passarounds will begin. Hotel is setting up desserts on a separate table.consisting of trays of cookies, mini pastries.
    My concern with topping the crostini ahead of time is based on previous experience with the the toppings making them a bit soggy. I suppose I could do them as a passaround to avoid that, but the client really wants the station as she attended an affair that had one. Originally. they were insistent on china, but changed their minds and will be using good quality plastic with the cut out/insert for their glass; I don't like those and let them know that. They are using glassware. There will be an open beer and wine bar and a cash bar for mixed drinks. Just curious; which crostini toppings do you think are a bit pricey? The walnut? olives? I wanted something that was easy to manage with a spreader so they can assemble without difficulty. There will be a total of four (myself included) in the kitchen, three for the bar and four on the floor. I will make both a timeline for the timing of the food and a list of what everyone is responsible for doing. The more I plan ahead, the better it will go.

2. caterchef

caterchef Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    :rolleyes: I would have to pass on this one, It's not possible to win on this one.
    In all probability you will be serving the same people they served last year.
    And down grading from Prime Rib to Pork Loin is a big step.
    Regardless how hard you try they will remember.
    If you feel you are already committed, tell the hotel you will do the
    cooking for food cost plus labor cost and let them take care of the service.
    Once they start getting complaints you can forget being their next in-house caterer
    if you are still there doing the service. I go to a lot of charity dinners and even though
    it's for charity the guest still think they should be treated like royalty.
    And most of the time they are not there because want to be there or support the charity.
    They just don't want to have to make excuses to their friends why they were not there.
    I do alot of catering for fund-raisers, non-profits, clubs, and organizations
    but I only take credit for the cooking not how much or how long it is served.
    And New Years Eve
    they generally eat alot of food.:thumb:

3. chefalice

chefalice

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Thanks for your feedback. This was posted under a new thread:
    [​IMG]Update on New Year's Eve Party
    Hi All,
    I just wanted to update you all on the latest regarding the New Year's Eve party; I met with the hotel owner and G.M.
    The menu has changed. No longer a buffet. The hotel is supplying three bar staff, one clean-up guy, four servers for passed hodos and one kitchen assistant. I am bringing one chef and one assistant. The event is from 8:00 PM - 1:00 AM. with a kicking live band. Tickets will be going on sale this week, thus, they are hoping for at least 150. I had them give me a deposit based on 100 guests; I'm not sure they'll sell all 200 tickets at $90.00 each. I gave them a 7 day deadline for final guest count with a little wiggle room of up to 20 for last minutes. Here is the confirmed menu. They are buying desserts and setting up coffe/tea service. There is very little seating' a few 48 inch and a few bar tables.They declined any seafood selections. 've already started my lists and like to think on on top of things. I appreciate your input and suggestions on making everything pop as far as presentation and like to think outside of the box while still maintaining elegance; They definitely want the three stations listed. I want to make sure there isn't much empty space. They are ordering a ton of poinsettias. Thanks everyone!

Passed Hodos
    Vietnamese Caramelized Meatballs with Snow Peas on Bamboo Picks
    Mini Tostadas with Beef, Queso Fresco and Caramelized Onion
    Mango-Curry Chicken Salad Tartlets

Stationary
    Trio of Mini Fritattas: Spanish Tortilla; potatoes, onion, thyme and pimenton
    Greek w/feta, tomato, Kalamatas and Dill
    Chorizo, Sharp Cheddar, Cilantro and Green Onion

Rosemary Pork Tenderlioin Sliders with Gorgonzola Butter and Balsamic Onion Jam; assembled on small brioche buns

Hummus Station - self-serve (all served with crudite)
    Thai Spiced Edamame served with Crispy wonton triangles and rice crackers
    Roasted Red Pepper served with Spiced Pita Triangles
    Black Bean served with assorted tortilla chips

Crostini Station - self-serve
    Mixed Mediterranean Olive and sundried Tomato Tapenade
    Walnut & Parmesan Pesto
    Pesto Ricotta with Roasted Grape Tomatoes

4. rsteve

rsteve

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    It is not about the vegetarians! Even in the Midwest, most hospitals have active Jewish and Moslem chaplains on call. Typically, they will be encouraged and often comped to attend fundraisers and may give an opening blessing. What an insult to have pork as the only meat entree in Detroit or Dearborn or Minneapolis, with its 100,000+ Somali population. In NYC you will have a significant number of attendees who may order a pepperoni pizza at Guido's, but when they see pork as the only meat option at a St. Jude's fundraiser will scream bloody murder at the "insensitivity" of the organizers. It simply is not a chance worth taking. Were I the caterer, I'd have a serious heart to heart with the organizers over this issue.

5. rsteve

rsteve

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    [​IMG]

6. rsteve

rsteve

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Well, I just went over the list of faculty and staff of St. Jude's. While I don't claim to be an expert on names and their ethnic and national origins, I'd venture an educated guess that there are substantial numbers of Jews and Muslims associated with St. Jude's, maybe, even, a Lubavitcher.

7. rsteve

rsteve

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    If the organizers hustle a bit, 200 tickets sold should be no problem. For NYC, on New Year's Eve, $90.00 pp is chump change. I'd be prepared for a complete sale of all tickets.

8. chefalice

chefalice

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    The event is in the Poconos of PA, not NYC. Sorry, I guess I caused confusion with the acronym NYE (for New Year's Ever). I'll be doing two sliders; a pork tenderloin and a beef tenderloi. The party is at a hotel and they are donating a small percent of the ticket sales St Jude Children's Hosp.

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    And St. Judes Hospital is in Memphis.

10. rsteve

rsteve

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Spent a day split between St. Jude's and B.B. King's Blues Club in Memphis. I had the good fortune of meeting B.B. during one of his rare appearances at his Memphis club.