caterer

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by bonnieb128, Apr 8, 2017.

1. bonnieb128

bonnieb128

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I am working on a- take with you menu- for the catering company I work for. We have platters, bbq by the pound, Casseroles ect. These are usually picked up by the customer at our kitchen or dropped off. I am planning on smoked Ribs and would like input on whether to offer by the pound or by the bone and what style would be best. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. picturesup

picturesup

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I would do ribs by the 1/2 or full rack, I think if you start messing with by the pound you will have leftovers and a mess on your hands. Keep it simple is the best advice I have ever gotten.

Rob

Chef/Owner

Pictures Up Catering

Motion Picture and Television Catering

www.Picturesupcatering.com

3. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Agreed, by the rack. Each rack has 12 bones and will feed x # people. How many racks do you want to order.
    @picturesup, I did the Hollywood gig for eight years. Endoured way too many three meal days, several moves between breakfast and lunch or lunch is going to be two hours early, we have an extra 75 people for lunch, etc.. we were also an all scratch , high quality all on the truck..

4. picturesup

picturesup

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    in LA What companies did you work for?

5. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I ran a truck for cafe on location. We mainly did commercials and music videos, occasionally a tv show or feature.

6. picturesup

picturesup

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Awesome, Ive worked 12 years for other people in LA and NY just opened up in Atlanta. .PicturesUpCatering Dot com

7. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I burned out after seven years, too many 16-18-20 hour days.. I applaud you for still working those kind of hours.
    The people that I worked for sold the business and took a break but couldn't stay out for long. They started up a new venture a few years back and are successful again. I visited a couple of years ago, they tried to get me to fly in for a week or so at a time, I thought about it for a split second but declined. http://humblepiecateringinc.com/

8. picturesup

picturesup

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    After doing the restaurant, Hotel then private chef thing, this for some strange reason fit me. Says a bit about my mental stability

9. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Chef driver wages these days at $38 hr, good money if you can get it.

10. picturesup

picturesup

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yeah time and a half after 8 and double after 16, it gets crazy for weekend gigs...I stay for the money, but I do enjoy the work. On larger jobs, I'll give the Chef/Driver position to my 2nd since Im getting profits. Share the wealth

11. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    when I was still in our rate was way less but I still managed five to six grand a week. The 399 was just unionizing commercials, I was the only driver in at our company for a while so I was making way more than the other guys. If I were smart I would have stayed in and drove a production trailer or honey wagon, same money, less stress.