Casserole Reheat Timing Quandary

Joined Dec 3, 2008
I have a breakfast casserole assembled and chilled in the refrigerator. It usually takes about an hour to reheat at 350. The casserole contains pre cooked potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon and shredded cheese. I want the casserole to be ready at about 11am but I have to leave the house from 9am-11AM to accompany our guests to a community event. If I want the casserole hot and ready at 11am will I need to be home at 10AM or could I leave it in the oven for 2 hours on a lower temp? I don't want to risk it drying our or over heating. Thanks for any guidance.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Will anyone else be home while you are gone? I hate to be captain obvious here but, leaving food on a hot oven unattended with no one home is not a very safe thing to do.

But, setting that aside and not to encourage you to leave your food unattended, you can drop the oven tempt to around 200'f - 225'f and you should be ok. Cover it with foil so it doesn't dry out.

However, I encourage you to not leave your dish in a working oven unattended.

Good luck. :)

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Does your oven have a timed bake feature where it comes on and turns off at set times?

The oven I'm still using from the 1980s has that handy feature. I use it routinely to preheat the oven in the morning automatically for popovers and for my cheesecake which i let coast to completion in a falling oven.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Until mine broke I was addicted to the timed-bake feature. It is a wonder feature. But I have few concerns about running an oven through a night, as I sometimes do when slow roasting meat or making baked beans... or when away from the house for a while. My logic is that if the equipment is in good working order it’s no more or less safe than operating while I’m there. Sometimes I wonder if someone would turn it off in time if I do something silly like drop dead suddenly.

As far as reheating... what sgsvirgil said. When heated you can remove the foil and crank up the heat for a nice crust if you want.

Joined Jan 31, 2012
Trying to time it to be piping hot when you walk in is tough.

I would cover with foil, put it in a cold oven set to 300.
And try to get back in enuf time to heat-bump it if its not hot enuf.
Leaving an oven isnt a good idea, but if yours isnt in the habit
of making you put out fires, I doubt its suddenly gonna get ornery
just because it knows youre gone for an hour or so.

Joined Dec 30, 2015
I use it routinely to preheat the oven in the morning automatically for popovers and for my cheesecake which i let coast to completion in a falling oven.

My year-old oven no longer lets my cheesecake cool down slowly. It quickly cools itself after use. Haven't been able to figure out how to turn that feature (feature?) off.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Sounds like a convection feature. I don't know if it could be disabled. Maybe unplug your fans prior to cooking the cheesecake?

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Sounds like a convection feature. I don't know if it could be disabled. Maybe unplug your fans prior to cooking the cheesecake?
It happens even when the oven is on conventional bake. I need an IT guy to navigate the electronics, so I give up.

Top Bottom