cashews good or bad? 10/18/09

Joined Apr 30, 2017
Completely sealed never opened can of salted cashews expired in 2009. Smells complelty fine compared to a freshly bought one tasted one and it taste ok. What's the risks? is it worth using them being they have no nasty smell. I should mention I emptied the entire can and everything looked normal

Joined Aug 15, 2003
What do you imagine would be the problem? I'm sure the are fine...the fats in the nuts may have turned a bit in the time, but if they were sealed then possible not as well. 

I say if the look and smell and taste fine, go for it. Expiration dates are often arbitrary. 

Also, clean your cupboards out every so often. How did a 10 year old can of nuts make it that long? :)

If you are uneasy about eating them, then don't. No big deal...a can of nuts costs like $5. You obviously don't eat cashews very often so you're not missing anything. 

But again, I say they are most likely fine. 

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Eh, that's nothing. I recently found a jar of salad dressing that expired in 2002. The depressing thing is that I've moved twice since then, so I moved that darn jar twice! I did throw it away this time, though. :rolleyes:

Joined Dec 23, 2000
Some time ago I purchased a grinder of salt... with an expiration date!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

The salt is maybe three million years old,  but it will be unsafe to eat come next July 27?

Your government at work, keeping you safe. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

Mike

I think I'm overtaxed

Joined Mar 21, 2008
I am using up 2 year old Heinz ketchup(the one with real sugar, no HFCS) that I had to buy a case of to get it locally. Tastes fine. Down to 2 or 3 bottles left...

Top Bottom