Carving/meat forks

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by katie etouffee, Feb 19, 2004.

1. katie etouffee

katie etouffee

So, my knife roll is filling out rather nicely, and I almost have everything I need for work. The one necessary piece I'm missing is a meat fork. I've been looking around online, and the usual brands and styles are catching my eye, along with some weird novelty/collectors' pieces (antique mother-of-pearl handles! wallace sterling in my mother's pattern, Rosepoint! et cetera). Anyway, I guess what I want to know is, as far as cooking meat and fish in large cast-irons over a rangetop, what should I be looking for? I love the way Messermeisters feel in my hand, as well as Wusthof's Grand Prix handle, though it feels a little flimsier. I know I could go cheaper and still retain functionality and quality, like if I were to go with a Lamsonsharp or Dexter-Russell. I'd like to know what you guys like, and what you've found to be the most comfortable, durable, and reliable in a meat fork. I know this is a pretty weird question, so thanks for any responses you might give. For what it's worth, my favorite knife in my bag is my Messermeister Meridian Elite 6" offset utility knife, followed closely by my Wusthof Grand Prix 7" Santoku (sans granton). I use the Wusthof more, but the way the Messermeister feels in my hand is like ... heavenly butter.

So, any advice?

2. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I realy only use my cooks fork for the transfering of large roasts from the hotel pan to the carving station , and the the actual carving and plating of the meat . I have a real heavy duty Sysco brand I realy like a lot . In the big high volume buffets Ive worked here in Reno that heavy duty fork makes my job easier .
    Prime ribs , top rounds , pit hams and roasted strip loins are all a piece of cake to transfer to the carving station and carve and plate for the customers .
    I guess its that control thing .
    Good luck , Doug...........;) ;)