carrot cake

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by pastrycake, Sep 17, 2005.

1. pastrycake

pastrycake

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hey guys,
    I want to make a cake for a baby shower as a gift. The mother to be said carrot cake sounds good. So, instead of going through the entire internet for some recipes. I thought, I would ask my fellow bakers for some true and tried favorites. I figured it has carrots, nuts, and raisins so kind of healthy. ;) Also, it usually has a cream cheese frosting, so how long can it remain at room temperature?
    Thanks y'all :p

2. kaylinda

kaylinda

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    CARROT CAKE

BEAT 2 CUPS SUGAR WITH 1 1/2 CUPS VEGETABLE OIL
    ADD 4 EGGS BEATING WELL

SIFT 2 CUPS FLOUR WITH
    2 TEASPOONS CINNAMON
    2 TEASPOONS SODA AND
    2 TEASPOONS SALT

ADD TO FIRST MIXTURE

FOLD IN 3 CUPS GRATED CARROT AND 1/2 CUPS PECANS
    ADD 1 CUP RAISINS IF DESIRED

POUR INTO A 13X9X2 PAN

BAKE ABOUT 60 MINUTES AT 300

I actually use a cooky sheet for a more shallow cake.

3. kaylinda

kaylinda

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Cream Cheese Frosting

Cream Together

1/2 Cup Softened Butter
    8 Ounces Softened Cream Cheese

Add
    4 Cups Powdered Sugar
    2 Teaspoons Vanilla

4. zukerig

zukerig

I've baked a great many versions of carrot cakes, but, for the sake of promptness, I’ll recommend the basic recipe developed by the team at "America’s Test Kitchen." You may use two 8-inch round pans to prepare a layer cake. Re additional ingredients, it may be prudent for this type of happy event, to go no further than adding coconut, raisins, pecans, and/or ginger. (Pineapple may be too rich for some tastes.) Whichever you choose, please note that americastestkitchen.com also offers a ginger-cream-cheese version.

http://tinyurl.com/dpwuz

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    pastrycake,
    Most carrot cake formulas are similar. I personally feel the most important thing is your backwards mayonaise. When you blend your brown sugar and oil, you need to add the eggs one at a time and incorporate after each one. It sort of resembles mayo. The more you incorporate, mix, and add volumn , the better the results. Also remember to "stir" in your nuts and carrots. If you whip or paddle them in, they bruise and turn color when baked.
    Good luck, and thanks :cool: I now have a craving :D