Chef Forum banner

Carrot cake with buttermilk glaze

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  flipflopgirl 
#1 · (Edited)
Screwed up, help please.

I baked the southern living carrot cake with buttermilk glaze recipe yesterday. I froze the cakes for next weekend.

I was suppose to boil the buttermilk glaze for 4 minutes before pouring on top of the cakes.
I failed to do that on accident and it was still whitish and only boiled for about 1 minute.

Is this going to affect the cake or flavor all that much?
I put so much time into this recipe and it and I lost sleep over it last night.
Call me neurotic... lol

Thank you
Rachelle

#2 ·
I'm not sure why it would say to boil. Did it call for white sugar or powdered? Making a powdered sugar glaze would be powdered sugar, a little buttermilk, little vanilla. Can also add melted butter and/or sour cream to mimic the buttermilk flavor. Doesn't need to be cooked, just whisked until lump free. If powdered sugar is cooked it gets nasty gloopy from the cornstarch

#6 ·
I have never personally frozen CC layers but that doesn't mean it cannot be done.

CC can be pretty moist (and sometimes crumbly/mushy) depending on what add ins are used.

I have heard horror stories re the layers just falling apart after being frozen and then defrosted.

Cannot imagine what it may look like if it has been filled and stacked and glazed then frozen.

Might do yourself a favor and have a backup plan.

Curious as to what happens so report back as to the results?

crossing my fingers....

mimi

I think I may do a coconut cake for the holiday dessert table.

White cake, torted, with alternate fillings of lemon curd and blackberry jam iced with a meringue buttercream.

This too can be overly moist esp if it is humid, which it will be so crossing my fingers for myself as well lol.

m.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.