Carpo-Tunnel Syndrome

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by mezzaluna, Jun 20, 2001.

1. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Anytime you have sustained pain, SEE A DOCTOR. Pain is a signal, since body tissues can't talk any other way. You may well have carpal tunnel syndrome, or a milder, more acute inflammation. Do any painkillers (Advil, Tylenol, etc.) help? Your hands are your most important tools, ShowringChef. Don't neglect them any more than would your knives.

2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Obviously some type of repetitive stress/motion is causing the problem. :eek:

3. isa

isa

You really should not ignore this. I know most people hate going to the doctor but by not doing anything about your pain you may be worsening (Is that a word?) the situation.

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Listen, painkillers will only mask the pain. Determine which activity is causing the problem. Avoid that activity. You'll need to readapt to your work and possibly eliminate the task that's causing the problem. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. holydiver

holydiver

It is definitely some type of tendinitis-carpel tunnel thing I had it a few years ago I would have it checked out big time.

6. pastachef

pastachef

You definitely should see a doctor. Have you tried a wrist brace? I've heard many people complain of the same type of thing. It happens to me if I'm on the computer a lot. It could be simple or serious. Only your doctor can tell you. Good luck.

7. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

My mother worked in a college cafeteria and develpoed carp., see a doctor as soon as possible, and in the meantime, wear a brace on your wrist. They can be picked up at any local drug store.

8. thebighat

thebighat

I have permanent stiffness in my right wrist from holding down helpless food while I cut it with the French knife in my left hand. Think of how your wrist is bent, sometimes for hours a day. I also developed severe tendonitis in my right wrist from shaking frying pans and have tried heavy-duty non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs, both otc and prescription, and finally acupuncture. I don't saute or swing a knife for a living anymore, but I have lost strength and mobility. Get to a doctor- you can't work like that and drugs will make it better. The wrist brace is a good idea, and don't try to lift anything unsupported with that arm.

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: thebighat ]

9. isaac

isaac

dont ignore your body. ignoring is means your abusing it. your body is what has kept you going.... TREAT IT WELL.

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    BigHat:

Drugs won't make it better; they only mask the pain. Again, it is repetitive motion/stress that's causing the problem. Avoiding the source of the problem is part of the cure. The biomechanical effects are sometimes irreversible requiring surgery. :eek:

11. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have also experienced this but not until I made the switch from the kitchen to the computer. Has anyone heard about Prolo therapy? I have been hearing that this offeres a lot of relief from this type of pain, but I don't know enough about it or have not talked with enought people to know if it really can help.

12. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

13. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Blairsie:

What is the source of the 10% surgical success rate that you stated? The last I heard, the surgical success rate was 50%.

The health care community is still in its infancy concerning treatment protocols for RSI's. The idea is to exhaust non-invasive methods before proceeding to surgery. In few cases, even vitamin therapy has succeeded.

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: kokopuffs ]

14. pastachef

pastachef

I know two people who had the surgery. One is in their thirties and had it in both wrists. The other was in their sixties. Both patients were completely cured by surgery. Kokopuffs, I think the B12 I take controls the pain from the damaged nerves in my feet.

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: Pastachef ]

15. thebighat

thebighat

The right drugs will make the inflammation go away. Then you need to find out what you're doing that's causing it, and find other ways to do those tasks. I'm not talking about painkillers here. Non steroidal antinflammatory...that's what they'll prescribe.

16. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I was not suggesting Ibuprofen, naproxin sodium or acetomenophen as cures. I only asked whether ShowringChef was taking any of them. Ibuprophen has some small effect on reducing inflammation, and would be telling if it did or didn't work. I agree that over-reliance on such medications only delays the inevitable: a visit to the doctor with greater pain and more damage than if one had visited a doctor early on.

17. pastachef

pastachef

Showringchef, How long has your wrist been hurting like that? It may be a sprain that keeps getting reinjured from repetitive motion. I went to the web and looked up carpal tunnel syndrome. Hopefully you're not there yet. Look it up. There is a lot of good info on the web. Good luck.

18. pastachef

pastachef

It does sound risky, and the websites will show that. I realize that the two people I know who had the surgery were lucky, but nobody can make that decision except Showringchef, after a lot of research and consideration. Hopefully it will turn out to be something not so serious. I think you were addressing Kokopuffs, Blairsie. She is a doctor and was asking where you got your 10%. You got us mixed up.

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: Pastachef ]

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    PastaChef:

It is I, Kokopuffs. I am male, not female. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

20. pastachef

pastachef

Kokopuffs I am so sorry! My senses told me that your were a male, but I couldn't tell from any of your posts. It's nice to know for sure now. Thank you. Again, I apologize. :eek: