carolina style pig pickin

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by zipdrivedaddy, Jul 5, 2017.

1. zipdrivedaddy

zipdrivedaddy

Exp:
    Party Planner
    We have a one year anniversary coming up for our brewery and are considering doing a Carolina style pig picking. What size smoker do we need for a 100 lb pig? Any suggestions for a good spicy Carolina style Bbq sauce would be much appreciated as well as any other suggestions.

2. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Are you looking to rent a smoker? There are some DIY whole hog pit setups that are pretty cost effective if you're up for stacking up some cinder blocks.

zipdrivedaddy likes this.
  3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Omg what's a pig picking and can I come!?

4. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    whole pig done on the grill.

pig that size would probably need a 6 ft x 3 ft smoker.  make sure to have some green red oak and hickory to add to the fire

for spicy East Carolina style BBQ sauce:

1 cup cider vinegar

1 cup malt vinegar

1 cup red wine vinegar

1 tsp ground cayenne

1 tsp crushed red pepper

1 medium jalapeno with stem removed

1 small pablano with stem removed

2 morita dried chili

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

put in blender and blend until peppers are finely chopped.  Adjust peppers if you want.  Object is a spicy vinegar sauce but no raw heat

optional:  2 or 3 fresh leaves of basil and oregano.  small sprig of fresh rosemary,  1/4 tsp thyme.  

for Piemont style red sauce:

make recipe above then put in large pot.  Add 1 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup molasses, 1/2 cup honey, 1 Tbsp onion powder, 1 Tbsp garlic powder.  warm gently and simmer for 30 minutes.   object is sorta sweet sauce with vinegar high lights and a little heat

I like to mix it up, put in a jug then sit at room temperature for at least day or two before using 

zipdrivedaddy likes this.
  5. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    menu must include cole slaw with a very light vinegar or mayo sauce, potato salad, store brand white sandwich bread with butter and banana pudding

6. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    And pickles! :D

Hash and rice are usually expected as well.

Oh - and congratulations on the anniversary!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  7. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I make a sort of Lexington sauce. 50/50 ketchup/cider vinegar with red pepper flake added to taste. Bring this to a simmer to release the chili heat. Then off the heat I add butter and stir it in to thicken and smooth it. Not traditional but oh so tasty with smoked pork and chicken.

If you have never smoked a pig that size I suggest getting someone who has! Yes a first timer can do it but it is a LOT of hard work and a long night/day. Butterflied and laid flat on a screen grate cooks faster than the traditional apple in mouth upright presentation...

zipdrivedaddy and scott livesey like this.
  8. zipdrivedaddy

zipdrivedaddy

Exp:
    Party Planner
    Thanks guys and gals for all the suggestions!

9. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    He said "Carolina Style" pig pickin'. No one would cook a racer pig with an apple in it's mouth for that. LoL

And NO...you don't cook one on a SMOKER. "Carolina" barbecue isn't smoked. It's cooked over live coals...either burned down from logs or from a bag.

Now, if you want the other stuff, that's ok...just don't associate it with either of the Carolinas.

10. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It's not wood smoked, but it is smoked. The fat renders off the pig and hits the coals and generates smoke. Splitting hairs I know but technically :D

11. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Preaching to the choir my man...

eastshores likes this.