Career progression

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by jakekerr95, Jun 18, 2017.

1. jakekerr95

jakekerr95

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi all,

I'm currently working as a chef De Partie in a standard branded restaurant, and have done at various places for the past 4 and a half years. Im looking to take my career to the next step and go into a la carte/ fine dining. I've worked in a Couple of places where it's been 50/50 fresh food and I have a good knowledge and understanding of cooking. I'm just a bit sceptical about it because I've not got any experience in working somewhere of that calibre before so I'm just wandering if anyone has any useful tips/ advice for me that will help me if I am to go into somewhere that produces really good food. I feel ready to do it and I really want to go for it but just can't help but feel a bit nervous about it at the same time, I hope this makes sense,

Many thanks,

Jake

linecookliz likes this.
  2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I didn't have any experience working somewhere of that caliber either...before I did it.  :~)   As a matter of fact, I can't think of anyone I know that did either. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif Just go for it.

Get rid of whatever is blocking you and making you trepidatious at this point. Get rid of it before you get a job at one of those places, because once you start you will want to be unfettered by fears, doubts, insecurities, etc. Those will only impede your progress and potential. Once you get a job at one of those places, be an open minded sponge.

linecookliz and jakekerr95 like this.
  3. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My only additional advice would be to be humble and ready to start over. Don't act or pretend like you know anything, and be a sponge. Expect and want to start at the bottom...the best way to learn is to work your way up and through the stations. Be ready to do pantry/garde manger, whatever. Even prep...

Good luck. Start sending out resumes. One thing I will tell you is that attitude and work ethic is 90%. Knowledge and systems are taught.

jakekerr95 and linecookliz like this.