Career as an instructor.

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by It'sGoat, Dec 29, 2017.

  1. It'sGoat


    Likes Received:
    Sous Chef, line cook, prep monkey.
    Hi everyone, I'm currently 28 years old and have been thinking lately about what I want to do when I'm too old/broken down for general Kitchen work, and thought that maybe instructing in a culinary school might be a nice way to continue being involved in the industry without being stuck to a desk all day.

    Are there any instructors/teachers here who can tell me a little about how it differs from general kitchen life? What kind of skills or further education would I need before looking into culinary institutions? I'm currently a sous at a ski-resort/spa, and quickly realizing just how different it is having to supervise and teach multiple people on multiple stations.
  2. chefross


    Likes Received:
    Former Chef
    Perfect. This is what I did after culinary school. I went on to get my BS in Hotel and Restaurant Management, then got a Masters in Education to do exactly what you mentioned. What I was not prepared for was the evolution of the human species tendencies. While I am very good at public speaking, and was able to project and plan a semester of culinary knowledge, I was not able to deal with the students. I found myself being more of a disciplinarian then a teacher. I got frustrated and left.
    I enjoyed teaching, really I did. I got to share my knowledge and experiences of 20 years to these bright eyed young people.

    As for you....It will get easier. You have many years yet to gain enough experiences to teach others in a classroom setting.
    In a is make or break with timing and stress...In a classroom it is boring and necessary to excite and motivate.
    drirene likes this.
  3. jimyra


    Likes Received:
    Professional Chef
    All should note your education with the experience you have. Just because a cook can work the line or a chef can run a kitchen does not mean they are educators. A masters or doctorate are required for those teaching above the community college level in most cases.