Career advice

Joined Feb 16, 2014
Hello
I am hoping you can give me a bit of career advice.
Here's my story. I started in catering in my late twenties. I've been doing it for a few years but have had mental health problems for years. These do appear to be in the past which is great. Although they have had an impact. I have mainly worked as a chef on a temp basis. I have had a few permanent jobs but not stayed there long because of the past health issues. This of course means my skills aren't quite where I would like them to be. This isn't a massive problem though as I don't need a lot of money as I have no wife no kids and I am single.
Now that I am better I would really like to do fine dining. Like I said I don't need loads of money so I can start as a commis chef if need be. But there are a few things that concern me. I work very hard but sometimes it can take me a bit longer than some to get things. I am wondering if I should work somewhere for a year then go for it or just go for it now. Obviously I don't know what will happen in the future it moght not be possible to do it in a year or so. So should I go for it now? Just tell the chef what level I'm at and let them decide or should I wait a bit?

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Yes, do it now. Let the rest work itself out. Find a good place and chef, get the job. As you have undoubtedly read here in other posts, show up on time, work hard, do what the chef says, be honest about your abilities, work hard, etc. Let the chef decide what level your abilities are. If you have any reason to believe your past issues have a chance of recurring, then let the chef know privately so he isn't blindsided by it, should anything come up.
Otherwise, you are no different than any one else who gets the job. No matter your skill or experience level, you need to prove yourself to whoever you are currently working for and support that establishment. That never changes.

Joined Dec 17, 2013
Stage. The market is in your favor in most parts of the country right now. Interview, schedule a working interview, and check it out. They can evaluate your skills for a few hours, and you can evaluate if it's the kitchen culture you're looking for. Good luck!

Joined May 23, 2016
DO IT NOW. Your life depends on it!

No seriously, you obviously want to be a cook so COOK! Why wait a year? In years time you may be a sous chef! It can happen, believe me.

The thing with cooking is that your body will get used to the motions, there's a groove to grease so-to-speak, it's not really about how fast you get something it's if you do it right. Speed will come, with repetition.

Top Bottom