Career advice

Joined Nov 11, 2020
Hello I’m an 18 year old line cook at hooters it’s my first cooking job and cooking is something I’ve always been intrested in but when I got the job I realized I loved it my question for u is it worth it to go to culinary school to be a chef? Also if I decide to leave hooters what type of restaurant is a good place to move up to like and upgrade basically

Joined Feb 8, 2009
If I was 18 and a cook at Hooters that last thing I would be thinking about is cooking.
Try to get into a better menu working under a Chef. This will give you a better idea of real cooking and how a kitchen works. A place like Hooters is set up to teach cooks quick to do the something over and over again. There's no creativity in that kind of operation. Ask yourself why you like doing this kind of work. Understand all the hardships this industry has. You're only 18 yo, you have time to go to school. In fact it's good to work in the industry for a few years before you go to school.......The Best....ChefBillyB

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Hotel, country club. That is my recommendation. Country clubs are like small hotels where you do banquets and dining room service. Most of the food there is kinda old fashioned but sometimes the chef can flex during special events.

Joined Dec 13, 2018
What interests you about the profession? What type of food would you like to cook? Where are you located? All these things should factor into your decisions. School can be a great way to learn technique and sanitation standards but when I talk to chefs, many of them believe they could be further in their careers had they started sooner. If you can find the opportunity to work in a Michelin kitchen, even as a dishwasher, I would recommend it. Catering and event execution is where the money is in this industry generally, a bit different navigating the changes this virus has brought though. I agree with Billy, find a place with an actual chef, preferably not a large chain.

Joined Nov 9, 2020
Short answer? Yes. You will get a LOT of exposure to a LOT of different techniques, skills, and disciplines that working in one place (regardless of what it is) will give you. The one good thing about a chain, whether it's Hooters, Dennys, or Red Lobster is you develop basic skills - Knife work, production slamming, sanitation, station jumping, things that you can always use no matter WHERE you go.

It will also give you a taste of the different disciplines you can find in foods. That's something that's hard to do in a chain with a fixed menu. Kuan recommended Hotels and Country Clubs; I would add to that resorts and dinner houses to broaden youe xperience after you've learned what you can from the chain.

Also remember that cul school is pricey, so start saving now!!! Buona Fortuna!!!

Joined Nov 27, 2012
honestly there is always something to learn wherever you are. Specially if you are starting out. its never to early to learn about SoP and the efficiency of a big chain kitchen. Sure there are more exciting things that could be doing, but as long as you are using your time to learn it will be worthwhile.

Not all places are equal but giving it chance won't hurt. Hunt for interesting options while you are there and hopefully you are having a blast with the FOH.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
As mgm0 says, you should be able to learn something almost anywhere. The big difference coming up today vs back when I was young is the internet. There are more ways to learn now, and especially more ways to network today. You should be able to learn from reviews and from places like Indeed and Glassdoor if a place is worth working at. That could cut years from the time it takes to get where you want to go, just avoiding places that will waste your time. Time is your most valuable resource, and it's not infinite.

If you're half ways sharp you'll pick stuff up as you go, that's obvious. The food part is probably the easiest part of being a chef- given a decade of hard work you'll know 95% of the culinary stuff you want to know. The business part is probably more important than the food part to be honest. And after a while you begin to see that most problems are people problems, so learn to deal with people. Don't waste people's time and don't allow them to waste yours.

Joined May 5, 2010
If I was 18 and a cook at Hooters that last thing I would be thinking about is cooking.
Try to get into a better menu working under a Chef. This will give you a better idea of real cooking and how a kitchen works. A place like Hooters is set up to teach cooks quick to do the something over and over again. There's no creativity in that kind of operation. Ask yourself why you like doing this kind of work. Understand all the hardships this industry has. You're only 18 yo, you have time to go to school. In fact it's good to work in the industry for a few years before you go to school.......The Best....ChefBillyB
I beg to differ. If this the first job in a kitchen, where better than Hooters? A kitchen is a kitchen, is a kitchen. This is a place with equipment, sharp knives, storeroom, techniques to be learned and safety, sanitation, respect, and learning. It doesn't matter the menu, for a first time basic learning experience.

Top Bottom