Carbon Steel Knives - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phantom552, Sep 22, 2015.

1. phantom552

phantom552

Exp:
    Home Chef
    First off, I apologise if this has been beaten to death, but I was unable to find anything terribly helpful by searching.

Looking to replace some old, used up Zwilling stainless knives with a few Carbon Steel Japanese Knives. Primarily looking for a Gyuto ~8", Santoku ~6", Paring Knife, Slicer, and a Boning / Fillet Knife. Bonus points if you can provide some budget ranged options (you know, options to keep the total under $250, $500, $750, etc.). Mostly just looking for options in general, as I can't seem to find any carbon steel knives locally.

2. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Don't forget to check out the Sabatier carbons. K Sabatier and Thiers-Issard both make them and they are not that expensive.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Other than for nostalgia I wouldnt get a new sabatier. The carbon steel is softer, and it has that annoying bolster. You can do better for the price. If you can get a vintage on the cheap thats a different story.

5. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I've got a brand new thiers issard and it performs superbly. Just my 2¢. But I rarely see you guys recommend carbon knives in the $70-$120 range, and he asked for cheap

6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That IS cheap, amigo.

7. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Right, that's what I said.

8. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    As a matter of fact, yes you did. My reading comprehension wasn't perfect.

In other threads I have been known to recommend even cheaper carbon steel alternatives.

9. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I just picked up an Ontario Knife Company(not marked old hickory)- bullnose knife that it looks like someone rehandled off ebay. I'm a little leary about taking it to work, just because of the extra care carbon needs, but am looking forward to getting sharpened up and trying out at least

10. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I love my collection of Sabatier, a few I got from thebestthings.com. I bought a Norton tri-stone 26 years ago, still in great shape. The knives work really well for me, sharpen easily, maintain an edge and I don't find the extra maintenance to be a problem. Should anything happen to them, replacements are affordable. I will allow that I may be missing out on not using the Japanese carbon knives but I can't really afford to find out by trial and error. Perhaps some day.