Caramelized Onions

Joined Jun 11, 2013
Last night I made grilled cheese sandwiches with caramelized onions. I love caramelized onions. I'd probably eat tire rubber if it was topped with caramelized onions.

Since it can take a while to caramelize onions, can I make a larger batch and store them . . . or even freeze them . . . for use later? Can they be par-caramelized and stored/frozen and finished off to make the process more efficient when I want them?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I've not tried this myself but I've been tempted to.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
You probably spelled it right. But the system just uses the spelling supplied by the users. Which is wrong in that link.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Carmel and caramel have been known to baffle the best of us. I have been wrong enough times that I think I finally got it, but don't take any side bets that! :~)

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Yes, you can make a big batch and freeze. We have a product that takes caramelized onions. We buy our onions from a local farmer (he grows several rows of reds for us every year). We cook them in the oven in hotel pans (a dutch oven would work well). Once they are cooled, we scoop out the portion size and freeze. They thaw very quickly and are the same taste and texture as non frozen ones.

Joined Jun 11, 2013
Yes, you can make a big batch and freeze. We have a product that takes caramelized onions. We buy our onions from a local farmer (he grows several rows of reds for us every year). We cook them in the oven in hotel pans (a dutch oven would work well). Once they are cooled, we scoop out the portion size and freeze. They thaw very quickly and are the same taste and texture as non frozen ones.
Thanks! I appreciate your input.

Latest posts

Top Bottom