Caramelized Onions for 225??? Tips?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by justfeedme, Nov 20, 2013.

1. justfeedme

justfeedme

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I am making a Beef Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and a Gorgonzola Sauce on Ciabatta for 225.  I have only done caramelized onions for smaller groups.  Has anyone ever done caramelized onions in a roaster overnight?  Crockpot?  Trying to get out of doing that many on the stove by hand.  New to this site.  Hope someone has a suggestion:)  TIA

2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Flat top grill.

3. powerviolence

powerviolence

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Yeah basically ^

Cut up a few hotel pans worth of onions, and do it on the flat top, put back in the flat top through in the hot box till ready to plate 

4. powerviolence

powerviolence

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Cut up a few hotel pans worth of onions, and do it on the flat top, put in the hot box till ready to plate***

5. beastmasterflex

beastmasterflex

Exp:
    Other
    You could do it overnight just be sure to add some extra liquid and cover with foil, cook at a low temperature (225 degrees convection, 275 conventional). Hotel pan of julienne onions, some amount of fat, salt and pepper, quart of some liquid (Stock, wine, water, etc.) The onions will definately be sweet and caramelized, but they will have no texture.

6. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Are you putting a whole onion on the sandwich or something? Seems like a quarter onion a person would be excessive. So 57 onions, you could do that in 2 rondoues (sp??) in 20 mins or so.

7. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I cook a dozen onions every day for burgers, cooks down to a "6, 1/6th pan.

8. justfeedme

justfeedme

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks for your input!!  I don't have a flat top grill but I could do them on my gas cooktop in 6 heavy bottom pans. I'm looking at other threads about caramelized onions on this site.  Sounds like if I do them overnight, I'll end up with onion jam and I'd like there to still be a little texture to them.  I really appreciate the feedback!

9. davehriver

davehriver

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Whatever way you cook them cover them.  Covering the pan gives you a lot more latitude of time.  They will brown a bit slower but will need less attention.

10. chuckdiesel386

chuckdiesel386

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Depends on where you work at im a line cook at a resort i also do very long bqt shifts. if your shift is just the 225 i would do it that day maybe have stewerd help out or if you have time prep day before. We usallualy use white and red onion and oil a little s an p in a tlit skilllit or a large pan 225 is solid but i may have to do for 5 sux but not to bad

11. chuckdiesel386

chuckdiesel386

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Holding wise hot box or in the window if line is busy.but if you have tilt skillet or big pot just start cooking em up to you plate up.just have em ready for plate up in a hotel pan and build ur sandwich

12. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    How do you caramelize onions with liquid in a covered pan in the oven?

I thought to caramelize onions you need a consistent heat source from underneath to gently brown the onions releasing their liquids that slowly, gently, color and flavor them. 

13. beastmasterflex

beastmasterflex

Exp:
    Other
    They're not really caramelized onions but this would be the only way to overnight them in a roaster without them burning. I believe I described the resulting product.

14. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Slice and cook on top of stove in an army rectangle pan. Put a drop of sugar which makes them brown quicker. If you want you can finish in the oven.

15. suki1964

suki1964

Exp:
    Other
    I find starting them off on the gas then transferring to the hot plate ( low temp ) and cook out all day works for me. A day shift where the grill/ hot plate is on all day not being utilized means you aren't constantly going back to them. They will simmer long and slow and will be gluey and sticky and yummy

16. italians foods

italians foods

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    all depends on what equipment you have for 225 plus people you can do this same day using griddle on your stovetop use as a flattop this will make them caramelize and have that nice texture without that taste sandwich will not taste right a few extra minutes is well worth it. I use s and p and some olive oil mixture saute lightly and last minute turn heat up to get that caramelization taste works great and people will love them good luck

17. chef torrie

chef torrie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Million ways to skin a cat. If your looking for true carmelized onions however, I'd take the time and do them in a couple heavy bottomed pans on a range. One of my biggest pet peeves has always been people advertising ''carmelized'' onions when they are sauteed or sweat down.Although not traditional, A touch of sugar will help them color faster as chefed said.

18. justfeedme

justfeedme

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks so much for all your tips!  I really appreciate it.