Caramel

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by konr, Jan 30, 2014.

1. konr

konr

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I make a caramel Bavarian cream.i use the dry method.for how long should I boil the mixture sugar-cream.does it have to reach a specific temperature?

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I don't think there should be any boiling going on after the (whipped) cream is added.

mimi

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    oops.

I didn't quite get what you were asking.

If you are referring to the actual custard component... I bring to a boil and then shut it down to a simmer.

It is done when the mixture coats the back of a spoon.

Times will be different for just about everyone depending on elevation, ambient humidity, type pan used and so forth and so on.

Re temp?

IDK sorry.

mimi

4. konr

konr

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I make a dry caramel with the sugar.then I add the warm liquid cream to stop the process.this mixture (melted sugar-cream)should boil for some specific time until it gets the right temperature?is it necessary?with that mixture I make then a cream anglaise and finally add the semi whipped cream

5. jcakes

jcakes

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I would make the caramel and then let it cool sufficiently to be added to the anglais and the whipped cream; in my experience I don't let it cook after adding the warmed cream.  I like a very dark caramel otherwise to my taste it gets diluted after you add the anglais and whipped cream...

flipflopgirl likes this.