caramel popcorn

Joined Mar 3, 2002
I've had some problems when making caramel popcorn. I make the caramel,and bring it up to degrees,then I toss it with the prepared popcorn and put it on sheet trays to cool. Well the popcorn stuck together,then I let it cool longer and broke it apart with my hands. What a mess!!! I was told to put it in the cooler and smack it on a table when it cools,and it will shatter apart.Anyone have some help or ideas?

Joined Feb 21, 2001
Find a copy of the Betty Crocker Cookbook. Has a great caramel popcorn recipe. It has corn syrup and butter in it.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Here's a good recipe from Martha. Just leave the peanuts out if you don't care for them.

Caramel Popcorn with Peanuts
Makes 23 cups

20 cups popped popcorn (1 cup kernels)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups dry roasted unsalted peanuts
1 fourteen-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon salt

1. Heat oven to 350°. Set popcorn aside in a large bowl. Line two baking sheets with Silpats; set aside.

2. Combine butter, molasses, and sugar in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture begins to boil. Stop stirring, and cook 4 minutes more. Add the vanilla and peanuts; stir to combine, and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat, and stir in milk and salt.

3. Pour caramel over popcorn; mix well, tossing with two wooden spoons. Divide between prepared sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring after 7 minutes. When cool enough to handle, break apart any large clumps, and allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
As much as I like caramel corn, recently Kettle corn has become my favorite. It is not quite as sweet as caramel corn and very easy to make. To find a recipe for Kettle Corn, go to the Popcorn thread under the "Repast from the Past" forum. I love it!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom